Canoe camping vs Backpacking

Hi Jayak,

I am within a few years of you in age, and have accepted the fact that I cannot do everything that I want to or used to. If I am unable to do a two mile portage over a steep mountain trail, I will not do that route and will choose another route to paddle. If it comes to the point where I am unable to portage or hike into a particular wilderness area, though I have enjoyed that area in the past, I shall choose another area that I can handle and enjoy the memories of the spot in the wilderness.

Wilderness areas are special. With the housing developments and deforestation that you mention, the truly wild areas are becoming even more precious. The Wilderness Areas that are set aside by our government are not amusement parks for our sole use, but a place where nature may rest with minimal disturbance. The wildlife and biosystems of those areas are only part of what wilderness areas preserve. It also preserves the spirit of the land.

The wilderness areas also provide a baseline of comparison for what our society does. Consider humans and their actions an experiment, and all properly run experiments need a control group. The wilderness areas are that control group. They gives us a point to measure our current standing against what has been and a chance to see if we have bettered or worsened the world. That is another reason why we should not damage the remaining natural areas, lest it changes our baseline comparison.

Yes, we age. We are not always capable of always do the things we wish; the acceptance of that fact is one of the signs of maturity. We can not always insist that the world bends to our individual wants; once that acceptance is achieved, life can become broader, not more limiting.

Paddle smoothly.

5 Likes

Well said, @SouthernKevlar

1 Like

We all have to adjust with age. While Iā€™m not as old as you are, there are things that I used to do that Iā€™ve had to accept I just canā€™t do. I havenā€™t bought a motorboat, but I am trying my hand at a little sailing. No ebike yet, but I definitely ride slower and avoid trails I used to bomb down.

First of all, allow me to beg forgiveness for my lack of clarity and accept my admission of ignorance. I reluctlantly admit that I am not knowledgeable about the definition, status, location, or purpose of wilderness areas. Commensurate with the reverance that so many members seem to have for the wilderness areas, Iā€™m suprised to hear that anyone holding those protected areas in such high regard would condone any human intrusion. I feel that everyone should be free to visit such plaves as often as possible, provided that the area is treated with with due respect, but we know how that goes (reference the post on refuse abamdoned in beautiful remote places).

Again please donā€™t misunderstand me. I hardly consider myself in need of special access provisions, but I feel compelled to point out that some members of society might. It seems to be a bit selfish to suggest that if you canā€™t hack it, stay out. That brings to mind another topic which does bother me. I surely expressed an unpopular opinion in another post when it was suggested that parks charged entrance fees to keep the riff raff out, to which I interpreted to mean ME as well. Iā€™m no limousine lawyer, and I wonā€™t be offended if anyone disagrees, but limiting access to pristine wilderness to the health members of society is tantamont to saying parls should be open only to those who can pay the set fee. It smack of toll roads, which I detest fully. Given the nature of many humans, I would lobby for no human intervention, if I thought dirt and a patch of trees proved to be so critical. The good news is that if humans instantly vanished from earth, it would only take a few generstions to heal most of the scars, and by then, the earth will probably plummet into the sun and be consumed in its entirety. Then who will be left to mourn mother earth. Should we really take ourselves so seriously?

I have no objection to limiting access for wilderness areas, but thinking on the topic, Iā€™m inclined to suggest that everybody just stay the hell out to ensure it remains unmolested. Fortunately, thatā€™s just an eccentricā€™s unchecked opinion and not something to take seriously. I feel everybody should be able to visit - maybe assign a guide to tell you where you can step and help transport equipment, possibly make everyone wear moccasins. Like I said, I have no clue and probably wonā€™t visit. Iā€™m too far gone to enjoy such things.

Do me justice and read my other posts, where I essentially express it clearly that if I canā€™t load and unload my boat without assistance, Iā€™ll quit kayaking. Thatā€™s the standard for myself, and donā€™t worry. I loath the idea of resorting to an E-bike, a 4-wheeled pariah, or a dirt bike. I have no objection to anyone using them with respect for the environment and within the limits of the law. Its just not me. For the record, Id rather die than defile pristine wilderness, and donā€™t interpret my comments to feel Iā€™m looking for special accommodations like escalators so I can climb Everest.

1 Like

I definitely donā€™t agree w/ this,

ā€œThe good news is that if humans instantly vanished from earth, it would only take a few generstions to heal most of the scars, . . .ā€

Doesnā€™t matter. Its true. Visit abandoned homesteads. The irony is that if there we no humans, who would care! The animals would go on and be none the wiser.

Iā€™m enjoying ā€œeverymanā€™s right to roamā€

the freedom to roam takes the form of general public rights which are sometimes codified in law.

Switzerland, Austria, Czechia , Sweden, Lithuania and others

(It doesnā€™t include fires, hunting etc)

1 Like

Very true sentiment. I donā€™t suggest it is present here, but my fear is a class based system where a segment of society feels more worthy of access and uses ideology or money to restrict access to a select few. Forum members posted pictures of formerly beautiful locations spoiled by liter. It amazes me how a degenerate would cart a large houshold appliance to an otherwise pristine remote location just to dispose of it, when most municipalities provide free pick up if scheduled.

If we accept blocking off wilderness areas because they may be destroyed, it wonā€™t be long before art museums are restricted to all but a few connoisseurs who donā€™t buy tomato soup.

I like to see bears, but respect them enough to stay out of their homes. I personally donā€™t object to anyone visiting remote areas and using whatever force or means necessary for self defense, but at least start out your adventure realing that you are the intruder. When the bear finds your cache of food, the bear feels it just scored a great meal and you are a competitor trying to steal it. Maybe you should consider offering it as a gift. The best advice is about situational awareness and avoidance.

As a society, we value wilderness and predatory animals, then the first thing many want tondo is go and intrude on it. The thinking often becomes, ā€œI know how to respect it, but others do not.ā€ If you truely want pristine, the best strategy is to keep EVERYBODY out, not just allow access to the most fit and exclude everyone. Surely the environmental clubs of today are capable of creating environmentally friendly trails. Control number by permit only and have areas patrolled for signs of misuse. Its at least worth consideration.

As a side note, I think the recent forest fires are a wake up call about thinking we can preserve areas in a box for all to enjoy. A lightning strike can change your favorite wilderness preserve forever, or possibly for the next 300 years.

My comments are not intended to reflect on people who live in proximity to dangerous wildlife and must take drastic measures to . . . Coexist! The best advice from them is to keep your head out of your ***

@davbart, I adjusted fairly well by modifying my paddle technique. I still load and load my own boats, but leave the boat on the truck rack when I plan to go out on trips that are close together, but I havenā€™t messed with my 175 Tsunami because of the weight, but most of that can be overcome with leverage. Getting out of the kayak can be awkward at times, but Iā€™ve managed to make it look like a technique.

Beautiful :laughing: