canoe camping

Sierra Design Meteor Light CD tent
how can any tent that weighs between 6 and 8 pounds ever be considered light? it should be called the sierra design as heavy as a meteor. if you really want good gear reviews go to whiteblaze.net - these folks hike the appalachian trail and put their gear through some very tough elements. plus they are always trying to shave ounces from their gear and thus resulting in some really great gear designs. go to the utlra lite gear reviews area to check it out. i believe that backpacker.com requires a subscription to really get to the good reviews. However, in a canoe you can carry some extra wieght so its not always a big deal. i sometimes take my eureka with me canoeing but if weight is important - i recomend that you go with a hammock or tarptent.

clearance sales
Ive been picking stuff up on clearance… msr gas stove 18$ cooking kit 8$ and i found a ok tent for35$…its a swiss gear that weighs in at 4lb(found it at sams club) I still need a decent sleeping bag that packs small and a sleep pad…hey it aint the best top notch name brand but all i care about is staying warm and dry and i think it will…

have had tents for a number of years

– Last Updated: Aug-02-07 4:34 PM EST –

50 say and I am happy with the Hubba Hubba. I cant use bivvy sacks and the Walrus Micro swift causes claustrophobia. The SD design for two works well when you have to hole up for a couple of days

I am not shopping just saying what works best for me. The Eureka Timberline Outfitter is used by many people and I had one for canoe camping for twenty years till the floor entirely went.

Tarptents are a laugh in bug country. The caribou can die from blood loss. The hammock is intriguing but black spruce trunks arent strong. I use a HH for pine country.

has anybody bought anything from moab sp
moab sports?

i usually get stuff from campmor or seirratrading post

but i have seen these guys http://www.moabsports.com/

they seem to have some good deals…

meteor light
is heavy but for kayak camping but you can split the load between two boats (one get’s fly and ground sheet the other gets tent body/poles)it is perfect and very roomy for two people. It’s the roomiest two person tent under $300 I found.

For portaging, etc yes, go with ultralight and whiteblaze is good source. So is:

http://www.nessmuking.com/

MEC Wanderer tents
I like the MEC Wanderer - 2 doors, 2 vestibules, easy set up, usable space, several tie out points for harsh weather, good value.

I don’t know much about stoves, but I’ve used the MSR Dragonfly plenty and liked it fine.

hh
What do you guys use to sleep on when using the hammock. I was “training” the other night ( i am not a great camper) when I found myself retreating to the house bedcause i was cold.

jacks r better
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

all you need for your hammock

I’ve used Moab
No problems. Seemed fine.

Sgt. Rock
has a pretty good review of the Jacks R Better quilt on his most excellent site:

http://hikinghq.net/hammock/jacks_quilt.html

Thanks
I want to thank everyone for replying and Im still not sure about a stove but am going to go with a eureka alpine meadows which is the same as the timberline as mentioned by Canoedancing and Kayamedic. My 16 year old son bought an apex xtc2 at lebaron and the rep was there from eureka and was very helpful, they even put the tent up in the store.

Thanks again.

Primus stove
I use a Primus that has been excellent for the four years I have used it. Small, light, powerful (15,000 BTU), and efficient. Not a single issue. And it was priced reasonably.

Don’t think they make my exact model anymore, but the TechnoTrail II and ClassicTrail models are similar (not as powerful at only 10,000 BTU, but this is plenty).

Be sure to get a built-in piezo igniter (no more fumbling with matches) on whatever brand/model you choose.

be sure to take matches too
In a waterproof container worn by you at all times. A ditch kit can save your life or at least your sanity while you warm up and figure how to get that errant boat and gear.

Lighter weight
Tent suggestions:

MSR Hubba Hubba: 3 season,2 person,2 doors,2 vestibules. Packaged weight 4 lbs. 12oz. Easy setup, great ventilation, Backpacker Magazine award winner.

Golite Hex 3 Tent with Bug Nest: 4 season,3 person,1 door. 66" high at center! Tent weight 2 lbs. 15oz., Bug Nest weighs 2 lbs. 6oz.

Liquid Fuel Stoves:

MSR Whisperlite and MSR Whisperlite International are very reliable.

Canister Stoves:

MSR Pocket Rocket, MSR Wind Pro, Jetboil PCS for individuals or Jetboil GCS for groups.

Try Pnet’s classifieds, Ebay, Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, or REI for better prices.