canoe for 1 man, dog, and bike

40 lbs
That puts you into either solo canoe or at least composite tandem canoe range. If you’re willing to learn the strokes and get comfortable in a solo canoe and don’t mind either the expense of a new one or the wait to find a good used one, that is an option. Money changes everything. If you free up the purse strings, you might be able to do everything you want with something like a Wenonah Heron or Aurora in kevlar (Idaho River and Sports in Boise is a Wenonah dealer).

But you could do with a dedicated tandem aluminum at the dock for $300 or less on CL, plus paddles or oars and other gear.

All good points
I have to agree with you about the tandem aluminum canoe, especially rigged for rowing. That’d be perfect.

I need your extra Malecite : )

Aluminum
One more vote for a used aluminum tandem. Buy a Bike Tight fork mount (or cheap knockoff) and attach it way back at the stern of the boat. Then paddle the boat backwards from the front seat. That leaves the majority of the middle of the boat available for your dog.

A Coleman would work in a pinch for this, too, but the sun exposure from it sitting outside all the time would eventually kill it. Also, the hull on a Coleman flexes a lot, so your dog might get a paw caught between the keelson and the hull if he/she steps in the wrong spot while under way.

Gold Fork R.
Yes Steve I live beside the old railroad causeway that used to go across Goldfork R. just before it widens out and enters Cascade. Its about a quarter mile down the causeway (dirt path) to the water. I am a kind of endorphin addict, avid nordic skier and mtn biker. After retirement, I moved from Hailey where I could ride singletrack hills right from my house. (Guess I got spoiled) Its flat around here and I have to drive to most all the hills with any trails and the closest is either Jug Mtn or Tamarack…close to a half hour either way. If this idea works at least I can be moving and exercising my body while getting to the trails at Tamarack!

I can spend a little more than 300 but didn’t want to spend too much as I’ve got other expenses.

I think it’s a good plan, Ed.
300 can get you into a decent aluminum canoe. Then, it’s your choice if you want to learn to paddle it or spend a little money and/or shop time rigging a rowing frame. I’d do the latter for your use.

I think it’s a good plan, Ed.
300 can get you into a decent aluminum canoe. Then, it’s your choice if you want to learn to paddle it or spend a little money and/or shop time rigging a rowing frame. I’d do the latter for your use.

size
So is 15’ for a canoe and 12’ for a row boat about the smallest I should go?

boat choice for man, dog and bike
Thanks to all you guys for your input. Yeah the time element for driving is what prompted me to consider this (takes longer than you’d think at first glance because of the road conditions, speed limits, limited trail access, parking, etc). Boating has the advantage of starting your workout right from home instead of driving. I wouldn’t do it every day but maybe once or twice a week in the warmer months alternating with other activities. Also, I think I can use a boat dock near my house for storing. So, after considering, I think an aluminum canoe rigged for rowing might be the ticket. One additional question; are those outrigger attachments I’ve seen advertised for canoes/sea kayaks worth their salt? Do they slow the boat much?

size
Yeah, there are a few 14’ canoes that wouldn’t be bad choices, but I’d try to keep it 15’ or more. You probably could go shorter with a rowboat, but I think you will realize more speed rowing a longer hull.

Never tried outriggers.
They look to me like they would get in the way of rowing or even paddling, and I have never felt the need. Some of the aluminum canoes come with foam sponsons to limit tipping (Sportspal). Those may still interfere a little with paddling, but not so with rowing. SailboatsToGo.com sells a similar add-on. BTW, that same vendor also has a real nice rowing package. It doubles your target cost, but if you’re handy, you might get ideas for your own construction by looking at it.

Oh, by the way…
There are currently a couple of good looking aluminum canoes on CL here. A little over your budget, but you may be able to get the price down. I would go with the Grumman.

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/4974153567.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/spo/4979465025.html

Well, now you got me curious…

– Last Updated: May-07-15 1:16 PM EST –

...about what Sailboatstogo has been up to lately (I used to think I would use one of their sail rigs on a canoe - before I broke down and just got a sailboat). Anyway - it appears that they have the outriggers and pontoons with rowing rig figured out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykm8Ycwmd1k

decked canoes hold dogs and bik
Try a decked canoe. Ive had three dogs in mine!

Google

Kruger Canoes

Google

Superior Expedition Canoes

Google

Sea One ( I think by Clipper)

Hold bikes and dogs. They use them in the "Round Florida’ race for the bike portages towing their canoes etc…

Way over his budget
Even a used one (assuming he could find one here) would be over his budget. And I wouldn’t leave one of those stored at the dock either. Other than that - I’d agree. Big decked canoe with a double blade would be the hot ticket on that lake.

I think it’s been about two or three years (maybe more) since I saw a used Clipper Sea-1 for sale near here. IIRC, the price was around $1000 or more. I don’t remember when was the last of such a boat before that.

If he finds any of those in or near his stated budget, he’s going to have to hope I didn’t see it first. :wink:

Just to cross the lake now and then?
That’s a lot of quality and a lot of expense for a boat that’s never going to be used for more than 20 minutes at a time. This kind of use calls for a cheap, utilitarian boat.

Yeah
If he got his hands on a Kruger canoe, he would probably be all over the lake and neglect his riding. :wink: