Canoe for SMALL paddler

Spitfire
Nothing wrong with plugging your own work. http://placidboats.com/SpitFIRE.html These sure look nice, would be nice if you had interior pictures of the different layouts as well, would like to see them.

Sawyer Starlight

– Last Updated: Aug-20-08 8:21 PM EST –

If I remember correctly, the Sawyer Starlight was designed for small paddlers (under 125 lbs. seems to come to mind for some reason). I don't know where you are at, but Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville, Pennsylvania has a brand new one.

http://bluemountainoutfitters.net/

I also remember seeing someone's son in a Blackhawk Zephyr a few years back, and he was definitely under 100 lbs. at the time.

Clipper Packer

– Last Updated: Aug-20-08 8:22 PM EST –

I forgot to mention the Clipper Packer from Clipper Canoe and Kayak. I've seen some good reviews on it, and it sounds like it is the perfect size. From their website:

"Length: 14' Beam: 24" 27.5" (@ 4"Waterline) Bow Height: 16" Stern Height: 16" Center Height:13"

The Packer is suited for a wide range of paddlers, from 50 lbs to 240 lbs."

http://www.clippercanoes.com/boat_specs.php?model_id=114

And for the Canadian paddler looking for a small canoe, Clipper is out of British Columbia, but will ship elsewhere. A friend of mine has had a couple of their boats shipped to Maryland and they arrived in superb condition.

Millbrook Flashback
The Millbrook Flashback is another possibility.

Again, from the website:

“A comfortable canoe for the solo paddler. At home in class I to class III whitewater. This boat was originally designed by John Berry for slalom racing, but is also a good river cruising boat.

Length: 13’2” Width: 27" Depth: 16" Weight: 27 lbs"

http://www.millbrookboats.com/

skin-on-frame

– Last Updated: Aug-20-08 8:41 PM EST –

One other option is building your own. Doing it as a skin-on-frame is relatively quick and yields a lightweight canoe. Here's a photo of my son in a boat I built for him.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2442283710050807370UBOFRi

Sawyer Starlight specs:

– Last Updated: Aug-20-08 10:51 PM EST –

Promo blurb:
This slick 13'4" solo tourer is the master of rough water & twisty rivers. With 175 pounds on board, it's exceptionally dry, quick & nimble.
You'll have no trouble keeping up with your friends on a cruise when you paddle a Starlight.
And it's pretty! Outfitted with our four-way seat that slides for trim & elevates and lowers, and an adjustable footbrace.

Beam 4" waterline: 25 1/2"
Beam rails: 23 3/4"
Max beam" 28"
Bow depth: 15 1/2"
Depth amidships: 12 "
Goldenglass: 37 lb.
superlite Goldenglass 28 lb.
Exp. Kevlar: 31 lb.
superlite Kevlar: 26 lb.
capacity: 200 lb.

The above is courtesy of thebob.com.

My goldenglass Starlight weighs in at about 44 lbs.

I didn't know that Starlights were made that recently. Superior Canoes, the current builder of the Sawyer boats, doesn't have the mold for the Starlight.

Starlight
Thanks for providing the specs.

The Starlight that Blue Mountain Outfitters has is one from the '90s. When Sawyer was restarted a few years back, the new company inherited some boats that the original Sawyer company had built before it went out of business. Blue Mountain was able to purchase some of those boats, including the Starlight. I’m surprised it is still available. I bought one of the old 13 foot solos from the same time period for my kids. It looked brand new.

The BMO canoe list says it’s 2005
http://bluemountainoutfitters.net/Pdf_files/canoe_inv.pdf

95 pound paddler
I’ve had a chance to read and investigate nearly all of the boats suggested so far.

Not many manufacturers give a range of suggested paddler weights—and of all those that I investigated only two give some indication that a 95 pound paddler would be OK in that particular boat. The rest make it a complete guessing game.

The maker’s comments for the Clipper Packer state that it “is suited for a wide range of paddlers, from 50 lbs to 240 lbs.” Now, I admit that I am a complete novice when it comes to such matters, but such a wide range of weights makes me wonder about what what their criteria for “suitable” is.

In the past, I have suggested to paddle.net management that they incorporate a “paddler weight” range into their boat reviews—making reviewers check off a box indicating their body weight. That way, we could search on a particular weight range—and bring up all the boats that are reviewed for that paddler weight range. No dice.

Thank you to everyone who read my original post and suggested boats that actually met my criteria. (For the few who completely ignored the stated criteria… I wonder: “Why?” )

Paddle.net continues to be a wonderful resource.

Do you sit or kneel?
Your original post didn’t address that point

Do you want tractor style seat, web seat or cane seat?

Would a sliding tractor style seat such as the Wenonah or Sawyer set ups work for you, or does the seat have to be hung from the gunwales? Some people have put the Wenonah sliders in boats that some with bottom mounted seats such as the Rapidfire or Rob Roy and paddled them with a single blade.

Your criteria are pretty difficult and you might find that strip built canoes may come closest to your requirements. Last year I saw advertised a stipper modelled after the Wenonah Advantage, but was 15’ long and 25" wide and set up with a hung seat and knee pads. At my size, 5’6" and 155 lbs, I thought it would be too small for me, but it probably would have worked well for you if you’re ok with kneeling.

You don’t state where you live, but if you’re near central IL, you’re welcome to try my Sawyer Summersong or Starlight for size. They’re both heavier than you’re looking for, but they may be ok for you on the water and might be found in lighter construtions.

Good luck in your search.

Good eyes
It must have been built by the second iteration of Sawyer Canoe. They got a few boats out before they went belly up. Nice catch on the year.

Please define “quite narrow beam"
That means different things to different people.

Do you want less than 28”?

Less than 27"?

etc., etc.

Decision
After reading many reviews and speaking to several people (including Dave Curtis) I have decided to go with his Hemlock Kestrel. The Kestrel seems to match the parameters for purpose, design, construction and fitting about as closely as we are likely to find.

Besides all the measurements, shapes, and weights, it does come down to deciding if a boat has the particular “flavor” that draws your eye and holds your admiration.

Sweet! Congratulations!
The Hemlock Kestrel is a boat I think I’d really like and I hope to find one to test paddle some day.