Canoe Innovation

Dave
Those are torture racks, not canoes.

What about
the Grasse River Classic XL or the Savage River Otegan? Would you consider them innovative, state of the art, or none of the above? They’re often compared to the Wenonah Advantage, a detuned racing design from the 80s.

fwcruiser

canoe inovation
Check out the new Old Town Koru.

Sure there are many innovations…
…but unfortunately they’re all focused on outriggers.

Why I dont like Wenonahs
They brought the Argosy and the Voyageur and one other to Paddlefest.

I was stunned as they had no straight shaft paddles. The rep looked right at me and said…We build for the market. People want to sit and switch. People dont kneel anymore.

I dont like bents solo and prefer a straight. I also prefer to kneel.

Wenonah has entirely lost my dollar. I know that thwarts and seats can be twiddled with but I hate to fight that battle.

Kneeling…
You won’t see anybody here in Georgia doing that it’s all rec-kayaks and a few coleman or royalex beaters…I feel very out of place with my kevlite Merlin…Is it true though canoes are like rock

n’ roll it’s all been done? People around here that I run inot just don’t appreciate a well designed hull…

I love the design of the flash’s and the blackhawks…everything thing goes in cycles and I think we need more of the Charlie Wilson’s and savage boatworks to keep things fresh…

I would love to see more of David Yost’s designs raised from the dead…

innovation? going retro is the trend

– Last Updated: Jul-29-07 8:15 AM EST –

whether it is called Prospector or Koru...

I consider this seat design from Swift pretty innovative
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dbarends/images/swiftseat.png
as this paddle(blade) from Mitchell
http://www.mitchellpaddles.com/paddles/cbs/leader.html
but those 'innovations', while probably a long time around now, haven't caught on?

it looks like a squashed
pumpkin. and it does not heel honestly. Feel the boat, it has cheeks and a sharp bilge turn.

There is nothing Prospector like about this boat

Anyone paddle any of Mid-Canada’s
Bluewater canoes(ie Splitrock(solo)/Explorer(tandems)) with their “Golden Brawn(sp?)” layup…?

(not a deliberate hijack!..)

not finding that the
Explorer is a Bluewater. Its a Scott also made in the same place (MCF)…and the other one isnt listed on the Mid Canada Fiberglass website nor is the layup you refer to…

waiting further info…no I havent seen many around here but yes in Canada(havent paddled any).See more Esquifs here than any other Canadian brand.

Paddled Splitrock
a for a several weeks when I was in my straight/go fast paddling phase a few years back until I happened upon a good deal on a Wenonah Advantage. I did not paddle it loaded, and it did indeed go fast. As I recall it had little or no rocker, and it was nice that you kneel (rather than tractor sit) in the boat. I prefer more rockered boats at this point in time and do more twisty and windy smaller rivers…not the Splitrock’s ideal enviroment IMHO.

I do own a Bluewater Freedom Tripper 17 that I love! Their new construction technique of vacuum bagging w/ epoxy offers a few pounds savings in the weight over the non-bagged older version I own. Fast boat, and mine has a kneeling thwart that makes soloing it great.

Ah huh…! …Nice to hear…am dreaming

– Last Updated: Jul-30-07 9:04 PM EST –

of them(MCF) actually putting some effort with every weapon of theirs(+ Killing's design) into something;-). That 17 footer's specs reads like a real deal...canoeist11. In reality, a tandem IS my boat of choice anyways I think....
Hi kayamedic!...I sure would like to be down along the coastline by default! Here's link...

http://www.bluewatercanoes.com/
*Have to choose the "17/9 Freedom" link

My Bad!..the 17'9" is a Freedom/Explorer-just a sub-name I guess.
I called them up earlier in the year to just talk about what the Splitrock production was...and got into conversation over Ultralight Kevlar and the newest(not included on website!) layup "Golden Brawn"..stiffest ultralight layup...most likely their newest version of carbon-kevlar(maybe).
Will try to demo it sometime if I can hunt one down to paddle;-) Agree with you on some rocker...even in open water.

Canoe Heaven
I paddled the Dead River in Maine this weekend. Saw 6 kayaks and a thousand canoes!

There were Mohawk Probes and Vipers and Shamans, Old Town Trippers and Appalacians, Mad River Outrages and Explorers, Dagger Captions, Dimensions, Ledgends, Rivals, Phantoms and Occoes, Esquif Zephyrs, Blasts and Nitros, Bell Prodigys and even a Savage Skeeter!

It was cool.

Tommy

and no duckies?
Did the Dead two weeks ago and there were about a hundred duckies for us to shoot.

A herd of Duckies passed through
Just a bit after lunch time.

What I noticed was that two of the four safety boaters were in canoes!

Even that was cool.

Tommy

Two kinds of boats
I used to have a t-shirt that said:

There are two kinds of boats:

Submarines…

And Targets