Canoe & Kayak Etiquette

My pet peeve goes
along with KM and GBG above. some paddlers at the take-out or put-in will abandon their boat right in the middle and block up others access. It’s just plain rude. If prepping a boat to put-in, do so off to one side and only get to the middle of the put-in when ready to launch. Same for the take-out. Don’t pull your hull halfway onto the shore then leave it there. Get it out of the way, then go get your vehicle, unload gear, talk to friends, etc.

Pag

Are you an idiot or what?

– Last Updated: Aug-12-14 2:59 PM EST –

The take out is NOT the place to let people know that you didn't make any shuttle plans, and need a ride.
To do this mulitiple times is not forgiveable in my opinion.

Don't block the accesses to others after you're loaded; get out of the way. It's a big river; use it!

Don't follow the boat in front of you too closely; most especially don't do this on whitewater, or if known obstacles are downstream. If you run up on me & cause me to capsize; rest assured you are going to get wet too, because you're an idiot, and you deserve to get wet.

Bring your own food, water, rain gear, and extra clothes to wear if you capsize. It is not my duty to supply you with gear & sustenance.

If you carry a throw bag; know how to use it.

Don't unexpectedly peel out of an eddy in front of someone headed downstream.

Don't paddle into an area where it is obvious that 2 or more boats are already having problems. What are you trying to do? Are you an idiot, or what?

NO, I do not have a spare paddle for you to use.

If you break your paddle slapping it on the water to make noise, and don't have a spare; rest assured you will not get my spare. I don't care if the access is 10 miles away, and it will be dark in 3 hours. You must be an idiot.

We have a 50 yard stretch of gravel bar available, and only 7 boats. You smash into my canoe as you pull in to shore. You end up so close to me I can only get to my gear from one side of my canoe. There are yards of empty space where you could have beached. Are you an idiot or what?

Would you like a little cheese with your "whine"?
Did someone hold a gun to your head, and force you to come out here?

BOB

Now Bob,
I promised I wouldn’t do any of that stuff ever again. Gosh you can hold a grudge. Is it because I paddle those inferior Royalex boats?

Royalex…inferior?

– Last Updated: Aug-12-14 3:48 PM EST –

A large percentage of my canoes are Royalex deuce!
I have no problem with that.........

Well actually, the weight of my Whitesell battle wagon(at least 70 lbs outfitted) is becoming a little bit of a problem for an old geezer.........But the extra weight comes in handy when bozo pulls out of a one boat eddy 5 feet in front of me. Ever hear James Taylor do
"Steamroller Blues"? Quite applicable.

Solution to boat weight problem: "Dude, give a senior citizen a hand with this battle wagon".

Yeah, I know I steamrolled you; but that was a bozo move you made, pulling out in front of me from that eddy.
Damn, your went upside down in a heartbeat!
Glad I didn't high center on top of you!

BOB

Well,
they don’t call me Class I Carnage Coop for nothing!

pet peeves: for starters show up!

– Last Updated: Aug-18-14 9:12 PM EST –

Nothing more aggravating than waiting for someone to show up who doesn't appear or comes really late. The least they can do is help carry my boat when they do arrive.

2. I can handle a shuttle moocher but what I don't like is when someone is a shuttle miser- they've always got to get back early so they don't partake in the shuttle even though they come out to be part of the group. Besides that, they might be cute and female and by skipping out they're missing the opportunity to sit on my lap in a crammed car.

3.beginners that don't identify themselves as beginners- that can get interesting real quick.

4. folks that drink all my beer, save me at least the last one even if it is warm.

5. out of state boaters that change clothes in front of someone's house or business- It always leads to access issues for the locals

6. NOC guides who paddle off with my ducky paddle even though its clearly marked and I can see them take it and the company brags about its "river courtesy"

7. Folks that think eating at Pies and Pints is good idea after paddling on the NRG on a busy saturday.

8. Rangers that inquire about my experience level and then admit they have yet to paddle the river themselves.

9. Invasive Species Permits, boat registrations, launch times, user fees etc.

10. pnetters who haven't figured out "its all good"- flatwater, whitewater, freestyle, ocean, swamp, plastic or kevlar, inflateables, canoes, kayaks and yes, even rec! We all share a passion for paddling.

I'll be doin' my best to teach y'll etiquette and keep things pointed downstream. In return, you can carry my boat for me! I'm gettin' awful tired of dragging it and it sure is heavy, bein' poly and all, plus I'm usually all worn out from swimmin'.

You mean Bob Rammed you too?
hee hee. He would see it differently! Twas good exercise for me.

I think.

Rammed you too?

Haven’t rammed deuce “yet”; we’ve never paddled together. I do look forward to my first opportunity.

Did not ram you either kayakmedic; you are trippin’ the light fantastic!

You pulled off a surfing wave in front of me; downstream current caught the bow of your canoe & started turning your boat sideways.

Then I semi t-boned you; with a little love tap.

I found your camera for you; you’ve been served!

:^)

BOB

grumpy?
Why do some women have to get grumpy when a man offers to help? This discourages men from helping women who really would appreciate help.

I am a man, and I always appreciate the offer no matter who offers. My “manliness” does not feel insulted or threatened because someone offers assistance in helping me load or carry or offer technique advice.

ok
I admit to having a sensitivity myself toward what I mentioned.

surfer fight!
http://www.dispatchlive.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/fight1.jpg

what’s wrong with Pies and Pints?
I mean, you don’t HAVE to eat pie!

We help each other
Our group always help each other with the loading and unloading. When I began I thought I was getting help because of my small size, but everyone helps everyone. This might be to speed things along or maybe its just a southern thing.

what a drag
Wow, I have never heard of such kayak/canoe congestion. Sounds like LA traffic. What a drag.

Come to Wisconsin: 85,000 miles of riverway. 15,000 lakes. Lake Michigan borders our east. Lake Superior borders our north. St. Croix and Mississippi rivers border our west.

We don’t have the congestion issues you described. What you describe does not sound fun at all.

Mine
-paddlers that choose to paddle a with a group, and then fly off ahead ,scareing away all the wildlife and precluding fellowship, mutual help and trip change discussions.

-Noisy campers across a wilderness lakes

-inconsiderate dog owners

-poor bathroom habits

-talking way too loud or shouting in the wilderness

Turtle

Thanks…
I don’t mind help at all… from men, women, dogs, lizards, or whoever, just don’t touch my boat unless YOU ASK first. YOU MUST ASK FIRST, YOU MUST ASK FIRST, YOU MUST ASK FIRST.

Did I say, you must ask first?

That is all I’m saying. ASK first.

Love it BOB
Love all your answers BOB. Too grand!

Not as bad as all that

– Last Updated: Aug-13-14 9:40 AM EST –

I've paddled some of the places Bob does, and have paddled with Bob and many other Pnetters down in his neck of the woods. He's not talking about paddling on crowded rivers. Let's say you have 12 boats in your group, and up ahead there's a bit of a tricky spot that some people might have trouble with. Don't go charging in there until it's clear that the folks ahead of you actually made it through without getting stuck or something. Go with just a few folks and you'll need to take the same precautions on a river like the Flambeau. Paddle a river like the Wolf and you'll be doing that a lot.

Some of those rivers in Bob's home turf DO get pretty crowded with party boaters, way more so than what you'll see in Wisconsin (though our own Kickapoo River can be a close approximation), but Bob and other folks I know who paddle there really only go on such rivers when the crowds are absent (spring and fall, or if summer, only on weekdays). Hey, I won't go on the Kickapoo on summer weekends either (and as you say, we are blessed with innumerable, wonderful paddling places).

Grumpy Women…
This women gets grumpy when a man OR woman, try to assist me with my canoe when it is up on my shoulders, and the “help” causes me to go off balance & dings up my car. VERY, VERY frustrating. Has nothing to do with who is helping. Just cause someone (men and women) THINKS I’m struggling, doesn’t mean I am struggling.

Dog Owners Inconsiderate
What is considered “inconsiderate” by a dog owner, besides a barking dog, poop piles, and poor behavior? I’m curious if there are other issues. Being a dog owner, I love having my dog along, but want to be considerate. Help me. Tx.