Canoe/Kayak Launches

Roll On Roll Off Launch
You mention a floating dock may not be possible, but if it is, I recently used a new canoe/kayak launch in Brunswick County NC that is simply the best launch I’ve ever had the pleasure to use.

I’d share out a photo on Pnet if I knew how to, but I don’t think Pnet provides that capability.

I’ll try to describe it.

The launch is part of a floating dock and situated at the end of the dock on the water. The launch is a separate section of the floating dock and consists of a horizontal section perhaps 20 feet long with 2 ramps that lead down to the water on either side of the horizontal section. All 3 sections (ramps and horizontal) have plastic rollers in them that allow you to roll your craft down to the water and then back up from the water when you return. Hand rails on the ramps are positioned low so you can use them to pull yourself down and up the ramps.

When I use this launch my feet never become wet as you start and end your trip on the high horizontal section that is level with the rest of the dock. Simply sit it your boat and pull yourself into the river and then pull your way back up when you are finished.

Brunswick County Parks and Rec could provide you with more info if you are interested.

how about
a firm sandy, or gravely, beach about 10 feet wide–at high water backed by a grassy field—with space for parking beyond— may be no need for steps if the slope is gentle enough–might even be wheelchair accesible if the sand/gravel is firm enough

Natural landings

– Last Updated: Apr-04-10 9:29 AM EST –

I prefer to land and launch from an eddy if possible. I doubt I'm alone in this, yet I don't see it mentioned so far... When I hear talk of steep banks, I realize there may not be such a place in your allotted area, but if there is, I think I'd try to use it.

I know of a river where there are quite a few landings cut into steep banks on the outside of bends and after every flood they have to go in and scrape out the silt with a bobcat. With steps, that might turn into a fairly nasty crew-with-shovels job. Better not to do that. Also, every landing I've ever seen placed at the confluence with a creek ends up filling with deep mud and can lead too ugly situations when the general public has to deal with it.

An eddy landing is even more convenient if larger groups are involved. For what you're thinking about, public access, it would be a real plus. You can count on some folks tipping while getting in and out, stuff will fall in the water and need to be recovered (lest it become more litter that has to be picked out of downstream strainers later), there will be boats waiting for others to get on or off the water. Best if these inevitable minor catastrophes and congestion points aren't in the swiftest water available.

So, if there is a natural shoreline eddy someplace along the river where you're planning on building this, in your position, I think I'd try to put my launch there. In you shoes, I'd probably try to find a spot on the inside of a bend and a bit downstream from the point of that bend, about three feet deep in normal summer conditions, with a gravel or stone bottom that has persisted. I'd then think about what I could do to make it more convenient to access. I think I'd want to paddle through there a couple times thinking about where to I'd like to land a group fast - as if in a thunderstorm.
Just my two cents worth. You know the stretch, I don't.

i often use
A public launch on a river that has a concrete ramp angling down the steep bank parallel with the water. When the ramp reaches roughly the high water level it stops and a wooden ramp is attached on hinges. The ramp is attached to a low dock parallel with the river, and low enough to very easily enter the kayak or canoe.

The key here is the concrete ramp is wide enough for people to go up and down at the same time, and easily accessed by anyone with carts or in wheelchairs.

one over looked problem
may be jet skiers an powerboaters usin the ramp as well . and takin it over completely , or causein other problems . To prevent trailer loading set posts in front of launch area so a car/truck cannot back into the water w/trailer.

M