Canoe made in USA

usa canoe
what about something like this:

http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=39&SID=9ce1feaa61dccf24bb85bd2121d6f179

USA Canoe
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was in Dick’s sporting goods and they had a Mad River Adventure marked down to $399.00 so I took the plunge. I verfied with Mad River customer service it is made in the USA and has a Proudly made in the USA sticker on the hull.

How many hulls are made in the US?
There are lots assembled here and I suspect most of the ones people think are made in the US are hulls shipped from overseas.

I think OSHA has something to do with this. Environmental controls are more lax overseas not to mention worker safety standards.

I bet most of the list people have come up with are hulls shipped from overseas, like China.

I do know that Bell is made entirely in the US.

Hmmmm

– Last Updated: Jan-27-08 11:21 PM EST –

Your evidence is "I suspect", "I think" and "I bet".

Sorry, I'll take Eric Nyre's word over yours.

Its not my word
Its what I learned from a noted canoe designer during Paddlefest.

But it IS thirdhand. The source is reliable but since I didn’t hear it from a manufacturer directly hence the qualifiers.

GB guy stop knocking me. I would like to know who you really are instead of hiding under Internet anonymity.

Too Bad
I’m afraid you might live to regret that. The MR Adventure is one of the most poorly conceived boats I’ve ever paddled.

It’s billed as an entry level, family canoe for fishing and flatwater, but it’s far too tippy for those uses.

Often tippy canoes are fast, but the Adventure is a real tub to paddle.

Never mind that it’s a back breaker to get it up on your car top. Also, the gunnel design makes it a bit unstable on a standard roof rack.

Lastly, if you get water inside you just can’t dump it over to empty it because the lip keeps some of the water in.

I suspect you will find yourself looking for a better canoe by the end of this season.

It’s like this

– Last Updated: Jan-28-08 11:21 AM EST –

We all know that Eric Nyre has direct connections with several of the major boat-builders. He actually talks with the people, so if he says that the ones he is familiar with are built here, I'm not inclined to assume he's mistaken just because of a post like yours. We all know that all of the minor boat builders (folks like Placid or Clipper) do all their work in their own shops. It's also no secret that Wenonah doesn't even start building a boat until somebody places an order for it. They tell you that right up front. It might be an order from a dealer for several boats they hope to sell, or an order from an individual who wants "that boat", but in either case, somebody has to request that particular model before they start building it. That wouldn't work if Wenonah hulls were built overseas. Mohawk canoes were made in Florida until recently, and when the company was sold, all the equipment that the new owner wanted to use got shipped to the new location. People said the same thing about Mad River when they were sold. Whenever people here talk about a discontinued boat, the question usually comes up, "where is the mold for that model now?" Often, somebody in the know, such as Charlie Wilson, will tell us where the mold was last time he heard about it. None of this supports the notion that "most" of the brands listed in this thread are built overseas.

What I said earlier was based on logic which I didn't think needed to be spelled out, but there it is now. Had you had at least said that your premise was something that you had heard third-hand from someone in the industry, there would have been nothing to say in response, and if someone did, it would not reflect on you. Instead, you said it in a way that implies "it only makes sense because of agencies like OSHA", and that sort of speculation is a doubt-causer from the get-go. So you see, it's not personal, so don't try to make it into something it's not. If it WERE personal, I'd surely remember what it was that you and I might have disagreed on in the past, but I have no clue. I'm sure I'd remember the subject if you told me, but "I would bet" that whatever it was, I was just saying what made sense to me at the time, and attached absolutely no significance to who you are while doing so.

There are lots of disagreements on this board, in case you haven't noticed that by now, and except for people like Flatpick, CEWilson, and a few others, we are all pretty much anonymous. So, I'm just fine being anonymous (if you don't count the 40 or 50 P-netters I've paddle with). If you are going to take it as a personal assault every time someone takes issue with something you say, I'd recommend you re-think it.

Hate to toot my own horn…
but we’re made totally in the USA.

Vermont Canoe

16 footer is not bad
The Adventurer series has two very different paddling canoes, a 14’ and a 16’. The 14 is not a quality paddlng hull. The 16 does paddle very nicely. Not in a league with a composite Wenonah Adirondack, but as good as an Old Town Camper or Discovery 15’8", any royalex Mad River 16footer.

Its "armchair outfitting does limit its paddling. No seat adjustment except for raising or lowering the padded seatback. And a pain to portage since the molded in middle seat is right where a yoke should be. Its really heavy since its much like a kayak with the weight of the molded upper deck/seat/gunwale/cupholders assembly.

But with a trimmed load and two paddlers who can reach the water from the fixed seats, the hull paddles surprisingly well.

It will get the original poster on the water, reward his good technique, and be worth what he paid for it when he does decide which other canoe to buy later in his progress.

Bill

Tiny drain hole
It probably would be a good idea to pick up a bilge pump in case you take on any water. We never tipped over with our 14 but it did get rained on and had some leaves inside that really plugged that tiny drain hole making it impossible to empty. Had to use a bailer and sponge.

Hope you have fun with your new canoe. All said and done, we enjoyed ours and had a lot of fun with it.

Thanks
That was prett much my though.

Not sure if the wife and kids will take to the paddling thing and I’m confident I could sell the adventure on the local craigslist for close to what I paid. If they really enjoy it, I can spend the money for something nice later.