Canoe or Kayak?

Double paddle canoe without deck------
Hi natural-wonder,

Thanks for the link to compass Rose. I knew most of the information, but Peter Spectre is a good writer and I’m not. The quote you liked applies to a canoe I recently acquired.

As Bart Hathaway’s health was failing, he became unable to construct the decked canoes that had become the bread and butter of his product line. I think the issue was glassing the inside seam between the deck and the hull. He then constructed a low number of “decked” canoe hulls and sold them to folks (without the decks) so they could finish them as open canoes with wood trim. The one I just acquired was finished by Ken Bassett, and he did a fine job.

worn or not
canoes are not worn. You sit in them; you dont get in them.

Kayaks are an extension of your body.

The single/double blade distinction is meaningless as is the sitting position on the floor or seat. The Rapidfire is a canoe that is paddled sitting on the floor with a double blade.

It gets really fuzzy when you think of whitewater canoes with thigh straps. Those are worn.

Almost all rec kayaks are canoes. They used to be marketed that way in the late '80s before the word kayak became so sexy.

Paddle type doesn’t matter.
I agree that paddle type is meaningless. When I use a double blade with my OT Penobscot or OT Pack canoe, does that magically make them into kayaks? (I don’t think so.) Likewise, would the fact that I’ve NEVER knelt in either of them make them kayaks? (Again, I don’t think so.)