Canoe Pack questions

Granite Gear
No one has brought up Granite Gear canoe packs yet. There are quite a few BWCA outfitters that are now using Granite Gear packs.

http://www.granitegear.com/products/canoe_gear/portagepacks/index.html

I think you are leaning toward a pack with a good harness and hip belt. Take a look at their Quetico model (about the size of a #3 Duluth pack) or their Solo if you pack light. Both have back panels for comfort and they have a short torso model of either pack, which is probably what would fit you best. Otherwise take a look at the traditional series #3.5, but keep in mind you need to pack this pack with soft items next to your back like you would a Duluth pack.

Granite Gear Quetico

– Last Updated: Aug-25-05 12:36 PM EST –

If this one interests you, order from Piragis quickly. Earlier this week they had TWO left (I got one) and REI and other outfitters were out of stock for the season.

Jim

PS: THe U P S(anta) man just brought my pack. I'm impressed with Granite Gear. The Quetico has all of the bells and whistles you could ask for - unless you are a Spartan type who prefers Duluth-style packs. One neat feature that I was unaware of is that the hip belt, the source of complaint from Clif J. can be easily removed. I'm sure that a tumpline could be rigged from the side carrying handles for testing purposes.

Shoulder straps and hip belt are generously sized for us big guys. Two thumbs up!

Don’t underestimate Tumplines
If your tumpline is hurting your neck than you’re probably not using it properly. When used correctly, tumplines actually disperse the weight throughout your center of gravity. In addition, I have a hard time buying that the invention of the fastec plastic buckle or polyethylene synthethics finally made wearing a belt bearable.