Canoe paddle vs Kayak paddle

Ha! That’s not linoleum, it’s a closed cell foam kitchen floor mat that makes a heckuva nice non-skid kneeling pad (and it was only $4).

But I am learning that the sight of it freaks out some purists. Next time I photograph the boat I will be sure to flip it over to the dark side so it doesn’t blind anyone.

I do already have the regulation tan fedora and plaid Pendleton shirts, though. The cats have firmly vetoed the dog.

1 Like

When paddling the big western rivers like the Sacramento, Willamette or the Colorado there is plenty of current, and using a kayak paddle can be plenty handy, especially when the afternoon winds come up. I don’t care how it looks. There is no one around anyway. If its good enough for the Inuit, its good enough for me.

1 Like

I solo a variety of canoes from dedicated solos to fairly large tandems usually with a single blade paddle. When the wind pipes up and making headway becomes difficult I first change to hit-and-switch strokes. When that is no longer a match for the wind I break out one of those nine foot long double blade paddles made specifically for canoes. Everything that has been said above about them being heavy and wet applies, but it will get you home when the single blade won’t. It is almost as good as having a strong bow paddler in a headwind. I will even offset the blades to reduce drag. I bring it when I expect there may be a lot of wind to deal with. It serves as a spare paddle on those occasions.

The one I have is called a Wave and is made by Cannon. It comes with a couple of grips that can be used to make two single blade paddles out of the double. I have never used that feature.

Peter

My friend in his 100 year, 100#, wood canvas canoe can be a challenge when he is solo paddling with one of those 9 ft doubles and I’m in my 17 ft Sea kayak.

1 Like