Canoe Paddles

No Tilley here but
any chapeau that covers the head and shades the neck and face is a good thing. No matter how goofy it makes me look. IMHO.

As far as paddles, of course a better quality paddle doesn’t make you a better paddler, just as having a top-of-the-line sewing machine with all the bells and whistles doesn’t make you a better quilter. However, for me, they do act to make me try harder to improve my technique. Don’t want to embarass the paddlemaker. Reminds me, I need to use more often the custom paddle DuluthMoose made me for my solo boats.

Whats your hat size Charlie?
String, we have an opportunity here!

Tilley’s are like ZRE paddles

I sure don’t use either because I think they look good

Paddle Choice
Choosing an expensive paddles is like choosing an expensive canoe. Purpose, paddling style, weight, durability, craftsmanship, aesthetics, material and quality are all criteria to chose a boat or paddle. A good paddle can really make a difference. I’ve done some canoe tripping and now marathon canoe racing. I’ve used wood and carbon, bent and straight paddles. I worked with ZRE to get custom carbon paddles( length, weight, blade angle, blade width, blade type). I love the paddles I received. I’ve raced them for several years on flat water and downriver low water races. They are almost like new. I have not tried the wood paddles listed above but the stiffness and durability of my 6.9 ounce carbon paddles are hard to beat. BTW I love the look of carbon fiber.

Quimby
makes a few paddles a year…being a builder of houses and its a long wait. Lutras are from the past.

Most people have their paddling budget backwards. But its tough to know initially what you want in a paddle before you have used many. That said its a good investment to get the best paddle you can before upgrading to boat number two.

Now what is best paddle? Sure you can spend four hundred dollars for a paddle but is it twice as good as a two hundred dollar paddle? Nope…Is it desirable…for some yes.

I dont have a slew of golf clubs so forgive me a vice of 45 paddles.

Marc makes very nice Dynel reinforced touring paddles. I also like the Bending Branches Espresso at about a hundred bucks.

Its when you get into sub hundred category that you often will find less than enjoyable paddles.

Youns folks sure talk pretty
’bout paddles!

Jim

I have some very nice paddles …

– Last Updated: Jul-30-10 7:15 PM EST –

..... some custom made , some high end production , I've even made a nice paddle or two myself ,

I wonder why it is that my Carlisle 8" beavertails and Carlisle Golden Lite (plastic and alum.) are the ones that get used the most , (80 % of the time , probably more) ??