Canoe paddling query

Went looking for a picture of Matt
with that grip hand high – couldn’t find one, but I did find this one of Aaron pulling himself out of a hole at Satan’s Kingdom.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2848737340075003331rmFSuD

He’s a little hunched over so his hand is over his head, but if he was up straight, the grip hand would be at about eye level during the catch.

I’m 5’10” and use a 58” paddle. I found a few pictures of me with that grip hand high just before the catch.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2446812170075003331NCtGhY

Kneeling with a relatively long paddle I agree with g2d – recover low, but your hand will be eye level (maybe higher) when you set up for the catch.

So Matt – you took a day off yesterday and didn’t paddle – what’s up with that.

Ralph - good luck with the new boat.

do not rule out
moving the middle seat to compensate for the Boo. I have drilled out the pop rivets and used stainless steel bolts on a seat, then pulled it out and put another in about a foot further abaft to trim out th eJensen when the Canunut was back there(great paddler but skinny.) When I paddle stern I put in the original seat.

How’s Geydog doin?
I told a lot of people about her after Raystown. The Methusela of Mutts doesn’t seem too impressed with your pike(?)…Thanks for the info. I’m going to try out as many paddles as I can before I settle on a couple. Probably one bent and one straight.

I still plan on kayaking, but the canoe is all about me and the Boo, and some camping and tripping adventures. The kayaks cost me a lot of quality time with him, and they just don’t lend themselves to camping. I’m a little too old to go totally minimalist. Maybe I’ll make that boundary waters trip one of these years…

Oh, sure, and the ladder
Ralph, sure I remember. I was meeting the vast majority of the people for the first time and have a hard time with names. I remember your kayaks and trailer.

One of the other paddlers took my ladder when I went off to town Sunday morning, thinking it had been forgotten. I’ve since gotten it back.

Feel free to contact me anytime about going paddling or trying any of my many boats and paddles. I must not be far from Daggermat.

…ditto…as much trimming as you can
within sanity. Most manufacturers place a stock middle seat for sitting on it…and is too far forward even for a kneeler…it’s pretty much a given that you should move it back some as mentioned.

She’s active as a 5 yr old
Gotta say she might be the best canoe dog in the world. Out of the couple hundred fish I caught while she was in the boat, only one bothered her. That was the 2-foot northern pike that flipped, spit the lure, and landed in the boat between my sandled feet and her bum. You should have seen the look of disdain on her face then!