Canoe Selection

Solo paddling assymetrical hulls
only becomes less efficient when paddled backwards from the bow seat, as the widest part of the hull is in front of the paddle position and is forward of the boat center. It can be done without encounbtering many problems; it just is not as fast and manueverable as paddling it in the designed “forward” position.

JoeLD
I found your post about the ww class you and your wife(I think)took with the Prospecter very interesting.I read in my C&K mag were,Cliff Jacobson had written about ww instructers teaching in just ww play boats.I think,the instructers should broaden their horizons,as far as teaching in tripping canoes such as the Prospecter you used in your class.In my opinion,your boat was probably less forgiven than any other boat out there.All though you did have two paddlers,your partner and you probably had a lot more work to do to get set up for eddy turns and ferrys ect.I think there should be more classes(if there is any to start with) for people that use tripping boats on classIII and such rivers.I would be very interested in such classes.Of course,I could just do as you did and bring the canoe with me and ask to use it instead of a play boat.Thanks for that in-sight.

Wayne

Whitewater Classes
I agree Wayne. As with some much in life, expectation & communication sometimes get a little out of synch.

We told the instructor we enjoyed tripping and were looking for ways to improve our odds in the woods. The object was not to experiance the thrill of running a river. Our objective was to learn to negotiate a loaded canoe thru some tricky spots without dumping our precious cargo. I suspect the instructor felt that once we got that adreneline rush we’d want a play boat. He assumed.

Another problem was communication. We’re “Bill Mason” paddlers, and he was new school, so there was some confusion on the terminology. Add to this the natural roar of the river and we didn’t know what he was saying…so we bumbled. After a few episodes when we just screwed up, I told my wife, “Let’s forget what he’s saying and do what we think is right.” Now the two paddlers were working together and we looked great. He was pleased with his ability as an instructor.

We had practiced eddy turns at bridge abuttments and do ferries at a raceway by a paper mill. Big haystacks are formed where the raceway enters the main river, so there’s another soft play place there. We trained ourselves to work as a team.

Now, the emphasis seems to be on solo paddling, be it canoes or kayaks. I can appreciate paddling alone…but there is a lot to be said about skills of tandem paddling.

Mike McCrea doesn’t know anything about this because he thinks canoes only come with one seat and one platform for ballast.

Appalachian and Starburst
I’d definately put my 2cents in for an Evergreen Starburst. More tuned to whitewater than MR Explorers or prospector designs (not that you can go wrong with a prospector - I’m especially excited about Esquif’s), but still manageable for tripping. In my opion, boats like the D Caption, MR Synergy and Es Canyon are specialized for whitewater.

The Ev Starburst and OT Appalachain, or a MR Freedom (new Refvalation?), are great all-purpose boats.

P.

Well Joe…
who knows??Tripping canoe classes may catch on.I think it could make an instructer a lot of money.Until then we’ll just have to bring our own boats and insist on using them instead of the normally used playboat.

As for the guy wanting advice for a river running tripping boat,I’m not much help.I do have a Dagger Legend 16 and to be honest,this is the only tandem tripping boat I have paddled.In my opinion,it is a dry riding boat that turns good but tracks like crap.It is also pretty slow in the flats.I like it,don’t get me wrong,but there are way better boats out there I’m sure.Good luck on the search.I hope you find what you are looking for.

Wayne

The Esquif Canyon doesn’t appear any
more specialized for whitewater than the Evergreen Starburst.

Swift Dumoine
I would also consider the Royalex Swift Dumoine in your quest for a tandem tour/river play boat. I’ve been pleased with mine doing everything from multi-day whitewater expeditions to lakes to solo whitewater.

An expedition boat is by its nature a compromise boat. Owning several dedicated boats might be better. But I haven’t found anything it does badly. A compromise boat also gives one a good feeling when conditions unexpectedly change or one is starting down a river not knowing exactly what to expect.

Also check the reviews of the Dumoine on this site. Best of luck in your search.

I’ve
the Dumoine but at 37", it seems awfully beamy to me.

Effective beam at waterline

– Last Updated: Jan-29-04 12:59 PM EST –

The effective beam, with a reasonable load, would be something less due to the flare of the hull and its somewhat rounded profile. These characteristics help it shed waves and improve secondary stability.

Swift says 37 inches at the gunwale, 33.5 at the waterline. I find it very maneuverable for a 16 foot boat. Speedwise - its not bathtubby.