Canoe trailer “How To” A-Z

Duggea did a nice job
Much nicer than my frankin trailer. but it got modified peice meal. but cost me next to nothing.

Wow! Nice job
Wait 'til I show Dave…he’s always wanted to build a trailer.

Arkay, I have reread your answers…

– Last Updated: Jul-22-07 7:51 AM EST –

...and thank you for them. Yes, I know what you mean about the 37 inches in front of boats to hitch, and 49 inches of boat overhang to back. Good reference for me.

I wish I could find the eBay past auction from about 3 months ago, but it is gone. A fellow was selling a kayak trailer that was by no means as nice as yours, but it was homemade and it did incorporate many ideas for the deck. I think this will be your next fun part (if you want, some would argue against complexity). The eBayer had compartments for 5 gallon fresh water bottles, and some form of electrical hookup, and even as you suggested some smaller enclosed areas--all built onto a uility trailer like ours. Although it was really "homemade" looking (unlike yours, which reflects a more refined finished product), his did have some neat ideas.

Plenty of further ways to pimp it out. A long box, for instance, padded out as a gentle place for paddles (perhaps even locked) might be an idea. Someone on the other thread mentioned it, I think, about a more open "box" of wire, material, sort of like your original trailer bed itself, that could be used to transport wet gear (e.g. PFDs, wet clothes) home so that, by the time you're home, its all wind dried and will not mold.

I also wonder, slightly, about mud and road debris getting all over the boats (moreso than would be on a high roof rack). Plus pebbles can actually ding, esp at 70 mph. I can imagine a rainy day, backroads, pulling the trailer and having one whale of a mess on the boats and the gear underneath the boats. Someone mentioned mudflaps on the pulling vehicle, which is a need, certainly. I suppose time will tell. I can see that you are appropriately protective of your nice canoes, and maybe some tarped front "cover" over the angled upright from the tongue would help on a rainy muddy day. I know, tarps flap. I am just thinking.

Thanks, Arkay. I am going to get thinking about mine, then cutting off the drop gate and hinges, step one.

Cooldoc
You’re welcome – glad to be of help.

Regarding road dirt, dings, etc. This is my second canoe trailer and both carried the boats at about the same height (from the road) and approximately the same distance from the tow vehicle. I really have not found road dirt, dings, mud, etc to be much a problem on the boats. I finished the current trailer a couple of weeks ago and took it out for a long road trip this past week. We did a tour of the Little Miami River (National Scenic designated river) over near Dayton/Cincinnati Ohio. Most of the towing was on paved roads, but we also did some dirt and gravel roads. After we returned I noted that most of the dirt and mud was on the very lowest part of the trailer (nearest to the road) and on the front of the trailer fenders. Very little grim got on the boats. I didn’t see any dings on the boats at all. I don’t currently have mud flaps on my tow vehicle (Jeep). I’d be much more concerned if I was traveling long distances on gravel roads – like we have encountered many times in more remote parts of Canada and West Virginia. I think adding mud flaps is a bit of a no- brainer, it costs little and probably would help. Also getting cover bags for the boats would be a good idea. But that being said I really don’t see dirt/dings as being a really big problem on a trailer. I think it’s not really much different from roof-topping. …of course with roof-topping bugs are a bigger problem… they end up mostly splattered on the INSIDE stern area of canoes as opposed to the bow. …I always find that curious…

Regarding lidded boxes, containers, etc for cargo area: I’m still tossing ideas around in my head for that. The combination of dry bags, Igloo (type) coolers, Rubbermaid containers, etc worked out fine for our last trip – which was actually a “car camping” type adventure. That’s what we’ve been using for car camping for a long time. When we’re out doing true canoe tripping everything is packed in portage bags (no coolers Rubbermaid containers). The only real problem I have with those sorts of cargo arrangement is that it doesn’t offer any security when we stop along the road to pop in a store or stop for the night on a long trip for a motel. While at motels we find we typically have to haul stuff into our room – or risk leaving it exposed overnight (boats are cabled of course). A pair of large lidded boxes (about 2.5’ wide X 8’ long) would really be handy in situations like that. They could be fitted with hasps and locks. If I were to make boxes like that I’d only lock them for quick store stops and overnight motel stops. I’d really hesitate to lock them at remote put-ins for fear of returning to find them broken into. My approach would be to take everything with me (while on the water) and simply leave the cargo boxes open and unlocked. I’m still pissed about returning to my vehicle a few years ago near Algonquin and finding that thieves had broken into the cap of my pick-up truck… My approach these days is to not leave anything in the vehicle (or trailer) and hopefully they’ll leave the tow vehicle alone. A locked cargo box at a remote location seems like an “invitation” to a thief to break and enter – if only just to see what’s inside. That’s my take on it anyway – I’m sure opinions differ on that sort of thing. …just some thoughts…

In the mean time I’m thinking the various dry bags and plastic containers we’re using for cargo work just fine and all I really want is a cargo net to keep things from sliding around.

Better shut up and get on the road – we’re heading for Kentucky today – sans boats (boo hoo!) - Randall

Honey do list?
Does this mean I’ve inadvertently added to Dave’s “honey do” list? …Maybe I can buy him a beer at Raystown as an atonement… ;^) - Randall

Neat, Arkay. Thanks for ur tips.
I’ll let you know how my rig comes along.

Nice Job
I have a old rowboat trailer I am planning on converting. Now I just need my old mad to show/teach me how to weld…

Rowboat trailer
Thanks.

See the post by “duggae” above – he started with an old boat trailer also. He might have some helpful hints for you. - Randall

What can I say
that hasn’t been said, beautiful job Randall. I expect that there will be a full inspection team assemble at Raystown to Oooh and Aaah.

Looking forward to the chance.

Randy