Canoe Trailer Options

You could
launch you boat directly from the SUT-200.

Thank you
Great info. Looks like a not bad deal new, and would be even better to find used. I did a regional Craigslist check today, and it looks like those trailers are not commonly for sale used (or, like bigger boat trailers, often become part of a package sale).

having towed
a trailer with a bike you don’t need anything other that the standard ball and socket that every trailer uses. It will let you lean as far you want - which probably won’t be all that far with a trailer back there. The hard part is remembering it’s there! It’s WAY wider than your bike, wheel base width wise and it’s easy to hit curbs with the trailer…do that a once and you won’t want to do it again!

You still need about 10% of the total loaded trailer weight as tongue weight. While the hitch is farther back, leverage wise, a second person on a bike is 100 to 200 lbs, well above any tongue weight - but remember not to overload the bike’s total GVWR.

Besides curbs, the only other caution is braking while turning - the trailer wants to go straight and can push your back wheel sideways out from under you. I’ve not had that happen but have heard of it occurring.

I used a small harbor freight trailer (4x4 foot?) with my bike, set up as a flatbed type deal so I could strap most anything to it. A car top carrier on there makes for waterproof, lockable, lightweight storage BTW.

All you need,
is sealed, submersible lights on a trailer and any trailer can be backed into the water to float the boats off. Well, good sealed axle bearings as well.

Hey prof_fate
That sounds really awesome! Can you show us how you mounted the trailer ball to the bike?

Very good
Thank you for that information. (Heh, hijacking this thread has really paid off.)

it was
a yamaha venture touring bike and I bought a hitch for it. I don’t recall many details of the mount - there were 4 mounting points - two to carry the tongu weight (went up to the rear rack or so) and two to pull the load (went to the rear footpet area as I recall).

Sorry I don’t have more info.

you mean
you want to do something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOix9-AXC0A&feature=related