Canoeing with a dog

As Fat Elmo, my hero, might say:

– Last Updated: Jun-18-08 5:46 PM EST –

"dont hav no experince with dat;

BUT got to be way better than trying yo kayak with a cat."

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=900649

Pee Break/Treats/Water
I found that my dog seems to tolerate kayaking, because I make sure I can pull over every 1-1/2 hours to let her pee and to give her a treat and some water.

Making a dog comfortable and feel safe helps them not fear or detest paddling.

-Capri

Fear not G2D
RockC won’t bother you, shake on you or steal your lunch. If we happened upon each other, you’d see a 40lb, black dog, either sitting in the bow of my canoe, or you would not see her cause she was curled up and sleeping. She rides up front, in the bow, where paddlin dogs belong. Not in the stern.

Not all dogs bark at wildlife, people, other canoes or other dogs. RockC paddles everywhere with me, and she is a huge part of my paddling experience. She’s been canoeing and camping since she was 12 weeks old.

I do not expect my paddling with RockC to impact your paddling adventure. I don’t want it to. I won’t allow it to.

Thanks for letting out your steam. Some dog paddlers need to realize that their dogs, are a pain in the ass. They can ruin a trip, I agree, But you paint with a wide brush.

with two dogs
I took both my dogs on all of my canoe trips. 85lbs each. They loved it. Mostly they slept. Seemed to have a sense of the balance of the canoe. Occasionally one would sit on the gunnel though. A big advantage was that they did not have hunting instincts. Getting them both into and out of the canoe was a bit of a challenge though. I sure do miss those trips

I didn’t paint with a wide brush.
I stated clearly that I do not like being snuffled by strange pooches. Some people, as an extension of teaching their dogs to “heel,” have also taught them to stay back away from strangers. Other dog owners seem to think that they have no such responsibility.

Your dog is “friendly.” I’m “friendly” too. May I trot over and snuffle your spouse’s neck, because I am friendly?

Canoeing with a dog
Well, my choices are somewhat limited. I have Young Onset Parkinson Disease and work with a certified medical service dog because of problems with walking and balance. Without my beautiful chocolate labs Ketu (in training) and her predecessor Djimah I would not be able to go paddling or backpacking safely, or continue to do the many things available to me including working.

The difficulties encountered are rarely the fault of the dog but, instead, the faulty owner. A dog not properly trained in (at least) basic obedience and socialization skills should not be in a canoe, or anywhere else, for that matter. Owners seem to think that their dog’s antics are “cute” when they are often just rude and obnoxious and invasive to those around them. I have so many people say how they wish their dogs were as well behaved as Ketu - and this was when she was 6 months old and not even remotely ready for her certification training! Basic training techniques are safe, fun and effective for EVERYONE who encounters the dog as well as the dog herself!

Having a dog is a wonderful thing. Having a wonderful dog is a joy to everyone you encounter. Both my pups have paddled with me since they were weaned. Easy rides with lots of breaks to play - remember that if they aren’t having a good time, you are pretty much guaranteed not to have a good time, too.

They jump out; they learn not to do that; they learn how to get back into a canoe because under the wrong conditions it isn’t their jumping out that puts 'em into the water. Careful of too much sun. My Prism has a tonneau cover in front to provide shade and protection against weather for them.

PFD’s are obligatory. Jut like with humans, you might not wear one on a calm flat easy day, but having it there for your dog is an obligation you take on when you own a dog. If the weather kicks up and the attendant waves and/or wind put you into a swamping situation, knowing that your dog is safely floating on his/her own makes it that much easier to correct the situation. A panicked jump from the canoe in the driving rain of a thunderstorm becomes less of a crisis if the dog is wearing a PFD.

Working with a service dog is a little like being aided by a precocious 10 year old child. They are a great help, but you owe them a huge measure of safety and protection and, even more: training. Frankly, any dog that you own deserves those things service or not.

My pups love the canoes and the camping - but it is because they have been trained and conditioned to be good canoeists and good campers!

peace ~ Steav & Ketu

I just read this whole thread again.
And G2D is still an ill tempered canine hating person. I hate barking ill mannered dogs myself. RockC would no more like to lick your ear or cheek than I would. She won’t piss on your tent, eat your lunch or shake on you after a swim. Grow up. She senses bad vibes and attitudes and would stay away from you. As I would.

I LoveDogs But…
I have had dogs jump up on me with muddy paws. The owners seem very…not caring, offering a vague I’m sorry.

I also had a dog come in my camp and growl at me. When I went to the camper next to me to tell them, they also had a non-caring attitude. Oh, my dog never did that. I hate to tell people with dogs that go up to people, some people will kick your dog! I would not, but others will, so if a person has their dog around other people, keep them with you. Not everyone likes dogs. I respect others and keep my dog close to my side when I walk her if I’m around a lot of people. Not everyone wants to be sniffed and some people are actually scared of dogs. Those people need to be respected.

-Capri

Dogs in boats
Murdock is an 80# lab that has better manners then most other paddlers out there And his brace is a sure thing. Leaving a good dog at home is a crime. He and i have been on many trips together he keeps me warm when the temp drops and is on guard at camp. You just need to take your time training them trust me dogs want to learn.

Dogs for survival
There is nothing wrong with taking your dog on a trip.

Think about this now.

If you get stranded and are starving you will always have fesh meat on hand.

Joel, this is my last dog post. Ever!
I won’t eat my dog. If we get lost, and we won’t, RockC will catch us a squirrel or rabbit and we’ll share it. Or while she’s chasing around after g2d’s wife or girlfriend we’ll find find his food cache. And eat it.

I see lots of river dogs on my outings. None have been a problem. Shuttles, getting wet and having to go home for work are much bigger issues than the few of us who bring along our dogs. If you guys have had issues with a dog while paddling? I’m sorry. You won’t have an issue with mine.

My dog
My dog’s name is Indiana. Like from the movie Indiana Jones where they named the dog Indiana.

But the real reason we named her that is that she goes paddling, sailing, camping and last summer sky diving with me.

The toughest thing has always keeping an eye on what she was nosing into as she is so curious about evrthing and creature.

Indy is my best friend.

Bad experience canoeing with dog
Turned out he was a lillydipper. Wouldn’t pull his own weight with a paddle. Claimed he had trouble wrapping his paws around the grip and loom. Yeah, right.

Jim

The best part is:
The best part of the trip is when your dog has to take a dump. You should have seen my dog wet herself when I took her jumping.

Joel

Planning
I’m not that experienced and have no idea of this is the sort of ideas you were asking for but in addition to short trips for training the dog I know you are doing a lot of general planning for a 2 month trip.

Some dog related things to pre-research…

Locations of vet’s, vet emergency clinics

Maybe brush up on some doggy first-aid, bring any doggy specific first aid items (pliers for porcupine quills?, what if dog cuts a foot?)

Get familiar with any new gear for the dog - harness’s vs. collars, pfds ahead of time, I find harnesses really frustrating and time consuming.

Make sure all your camp grounds allow dogs, maybe pre-research any pet friendly hotels in case you pack out for a night.

I don’t travel with a computer which is why I’m thinking all this but of course if you have mobile internet this stuff can be done as needed, provided you have reception?

Some camps require the dog to be on a leash at all times. I have wondered how do you beach, disembark and then handle gear with a dog on a leash? I would think about adding a little extra time into your end of day set up time requirements?

What kind of canoe/kayak are you putting the dog in? Size of dog?

I like dogs. Certainly no more annoying than other people’s kids, or misbehaving adults.

Hi! Im Shelby

– Last Updated: Jan-29-09 8:41 PM EST –

Hello everyone
My name is Shelby and I am a 16 month old golden retriever. I am using the mans account ’cause I can’t have my own.

My family calls me a canoe dog. I have been with them for only six months but have been in a canoe many times.

Last summer we went on a long trip on a river. I’m not sure where it was but we had to take a train to get there. It was very exciting to be on the train; lots of new people and some dogs too. I tried to stay awake for the whole trip but just couldn’t; after all I was just a puppy.

When we finally got in the canoe it was very different than the lake where we usually paddle. It kept moving. The man and the woman kept saying something about the water being high but they don’t know what they were talking about, it was only up to the bottom of the canoe.

It was so nice being out side all the time. I was naked; the man even took my collar off. I could run and jump whenever we were on land. There were lots of smells to chase and sticks to chew.

Sometimes when we were in the canoe the water would get all white and make a loud noise. This is when I realized that the man and woman kept losing things; every time we stopped we would look for a line. They must have travelled this river many times ‘cause we looked for lots of them. As far as I know we never found them either. I’m not sure what they are but I looked anyway. Then we would all put on these funny vests. I didn’t really like mine but I wore it anyway ‘cause the man and woman both wore theirs. Mine was a Salus and it fit ok so I could still move around all I wanted. Sometimes I moved too much. One time the man spoke sharply to me when I put my front feet on the gunwales and tried to bite some of that loud water as it splashed by. I sat down when he told me to. It was so exciting when the water got loud.

Other times it was just like the lake at home only lots more smells and noises. It was so exciting. I tried to stay awake all the time but I just couldn’t; after all I was just a puppy. There was lots of room in the canoe for me to curl up and nap.

At night time we would stay at a hotel; the woman kept saying it was a four star site. I’m not sure what that means. All kinds of stuff would come out the packs and we would eat and then sleep in a little house. I slept with the man and woman, curled up near their feet. By the end of the trip I was sleeping right beside the woman.

I hope we go on another trip soon. It would be nice to have another dog on the trip too.

I Like dogs
Really I do, but only the good ones. Have a had a few bad experiences with people and their dogs running around, coming into my campsite and barking and growling at me. At one drive in campsite the owners left their dog tied in the campsite while they went out for the day and he spent the entire time barking at everything in sight. Not a lot of fun.

One time I was walking on a beach in the Queen Charlottes and I saw a woman and her HUGE german shepard off in the distance. Well this dog sees me and breaks into a run directly for me. Kind of surreal seeing this fierce looking beast charging towards me, getting closer by the second. Luckily he was friendly…ran up directly up to me to sniff my hand. Lucky dog, didn’t know how close he was to getting a face full of bear spray.

If you plan on paddling the Southeast
U.S. I don’t recommend it unless your pet is “gator aware” and disciplined enough to stay put when told. Gators consider dogs a gourmet food item.