Canoes-Endangered Species?

"Pamlicanoe"
That would be a good name.

Solo/ tandem
Tandem canoes require two people to behave well and often to carry, at the least a planning issue. Solo canoes resolve those issues but tend to be more responsive and so intimidating and yes, people forget about being able to sit low in them.

I forgot about that, but the higher awareness of kayaks as solo craft probably contributes too.

Not endangered here
I’m probably pretty typical – my first exposure to canoes was at summer camp and as rentals, so my impression of canoes was of big, heavy, sluggish “buses”. When I got interested in padlesports as an adult, kayaks seemed much more fun and exciting. But as I spent more time on the water in my kayak, I started seeing solo canoes and high-performance canoes being paddled by people who knew what they were doing. It was a real eye-opener. Now the stable includes a whitewater kayak, a touring kayak, a tandem canoe and a solo canoe, and I enjoy all of them.

An’ thaar be a world-wide shortage
of canoos…

Cuz it seems ta me dat a few of us P-net canooists probably own 90% of de world’s canoos…

:>)

FE

There are numerous reasons, but price isn’t one.

I think the biggest reason is image.

Kayaks have a more extreme image, which is attractive to younger people with disposable income.

They see images of kayakers shooting the rapids on TV. It’s something they want to be a part of, even though 90 percent will probably never take their yak through class 3+ water.

Canoes have more of a potbellied, middle age couple fly fishing on a pond image.

Things can change if the canoe manufacturers can

market their canoes the way they market their kayaks, but until they do, kayaks will outsell canoes.

Another Perspective
"I think the biggest reason is image.

Kayaks have a more extreme image, which is attractive to younger people with disposable income."

They’re also attractive to the (barely) sub 30 crowd making $7.00 an hour living off of Cup O’ Noodle soup to support their sea kayaking and mountain biking habit.

Disposable income or not, if you love it you’ll make it happen.

Nothing says extreme image like a rusted out $300 minivan with a $2,500 kayak or a $3,000 mountain bike on the roof.

I would agree that image is a large
part of the equation. I would also agree that price is not, given what I have seen in both kayak and canoe shops.

Langford Canoe in Dwight, Ontario sold out all of their stock last summer and had backorders to last for months after the season was over. The ‘paddle shops’ in the area still had numerous yaks in stock through, up to and including Christmas.

I have two kayaks, one rec and one sea, but am looking to expand the fleet to include a good, versatile canoe. I would like to be able to afford one of Langford’s absolutely gorgeous wood boats, but then I would also like to afford a kevlar kayak. I think that the canoe will be excellent for day tripping while the kayaks are good for that early morning zip around the lake that wakes me up and starts the day.

It is my observation that canoes do outnumber kayaks up Highway 400 north of Toronto, but not to the extent that others have. Maybe I do not go far enough north, but seeing that Algonquin is a popular spot and that is where I go, that is all that I can comment on.

Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year.

across the board
One does not see many young fishermen or young sailors anymore.

I would surmize that the popularity and easily availability of kayaks has not only hurt the canoe business, but also the other water sports like sailing and fishing.

Quick!
When was the last time you saw a commercial on TV that featured a canoe? I really can’t think of any.

When was the last time you saw a commercial on TV with a kayak? I think I saw one 2 days ago, and I know of several I’ve seen in the last month.

I agree…image and marketing is a big thing. And it is not just a manufacturer marketing their own boats (I’ve never seen that on TV) but also getting things like canoes seen in exciting “real-life drama” commercials.

-rs

grass river canoes
Racing in the upstate NY- the adirondacks- is mainly canoes, especially the 6 person scout canoe. Check the 460 mile yukon race and you will see domination by scout canoes. Canoes tend to be lighter and cheaper and far better for portage.

There is mystic beauty in 2 people in perfect sync. I paddle kayak becuase my wife is afraid of water- some idiot tried to half drown her when she was 12. Canoes tend to be cheaper and lighter for 2 people. Singles often prefer kayaks. Kayaks are faster because of the wing. Canoe paddles must be flat and are less efficent.

Image vs reality
Disclaimer: I am not in teh business, nor do I have any inside info regarding tot sales numbers of canoes vs kayaks. This is just my impression.

I agree that kayak image is hot right now. From rodeo play boats to (w)rec(k) kayaks to touring kayaks you only see K’s on TV. But when was TV the arbitor of reality?

Manufacturers like Winonah, Bell, Esquif, Mad River, Hemlock, PBW and others seem to have healthy product lines. Many “mature” boaters opt for one of teh delightful iightweight hulls available from the upscale builders for the ease of portability a canoe offers. No, canoes don’t make the airwaves, but I believe that the canoe world is very healthy.

Jim

That’s what a rec kayak is!
The designer Rushton made a number of boats that today we call decked canoes. Small 8 to 12 feet with a beam of 25 to 30" is what most recreational kayaks really are modeled after.

scoutergriz
Have heard that Ontario and quebec are both canoe country areas where as out west here, kayaks are definetly the number one choice. I have wonderred if part of the reason for the difference is the significant voyageur history of Ontario and Quebec which is not as great here. Perhaps too because of your greater population your provinces have more opportunity to access interior areas so more portaging etc?

One might think so - - - -
I’ve been watching locally for a decent used canoe. Last two I saw were on the top of a scrap haulers truck heading for the aluminium scrap pile.

Beyond that, all I ever see is faded red Colemen Ram-X and ‘Big Box Store’ Pelicans every once in awhile. Usually come with a battery and a motor, and some aluminium cans in a box under the seat. Usually stored behind the barn next to the ‘bassin boat’ and empty beer can storage.

What I have noticed is that most folks would rather rent one once in awhile at the local livery. They only go out once or twice a year.

you rarely see a kayak associated
with the words “fresh paint”:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/520100915.html

to help with the image problem
Justine Curgenven released a new canoeing DVD. It’s called “This Is The Lake”.

canoe/kayakshops around here
get me wondering. There’s a few that carry canoe brands that have great WW boats, yet they don’t stock any. Go to the open house and there’s dozens of creeking, river running, and play kayaks to supplement the pumpkin seeds, but with the canoes, the Outrages, Ocoees and other WW OC-1’s are nowhere to be found, just loads of Tandems and a few solo mildwater boats. Local shop is going to be carrying Esquif canoes real soon, my eyes light up, then they say “oh, just the flatwater boats.” There’s a cl. 3 playspot a mile up the road that’s perfect for ww canoes and not so good for yaks; it’s usually just me and Aaron having a blast. I’ve got 3 canoe shops w/in 30 minutes of home carrying Old Town, Bell, Swift,Wenonah,and Mad river canoes, and not an OC-1 to be found. Dagger stopped making their OC-1’s a few years back.

Maybe you don’t see young
fishermen in your area, but in coastal areas, kayak fishing is booming and there are lots of youngsters among those taking to the sport.

How many?

– Last Updated: Dec-28-07 12:37 AM EST –

How many solo canoes have you seen doing whitewater in the last year?

How many kayaks have you seen doing whitewater in the last year?

How many tv ads have you seen with someone doing whitewater in a canoe? How about kayaks?

How many photos/magazines/posters/catalogs have you seen advertising whitewater canoes, as opposed to the number you see with whitewater kayaks, in the paddling shops you frequent?

What would you guesstimate is the average age of solo whitewater canoers? Whitewater kayakers?

How many whitewater canoers change boats as often as whitewater kayakers? A lot of kayakers change boats like a golfer changes clubs.

Look at the number of canoes vs kayaks on sale in pnet want ads. Lots of kayaks!

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

BOB

good questions

– Last Updated: Dec-28-07 5:38 AM EST –

I'd guess 45 canoes, 6 bazillion yaks. Average age of canoeist I'd guess at 45-50. Average yakker probably late 20's average.
OTOH, average time two strangers paddling yaks converse, none. Seems when a couple canoeists see each other at a release, the eyes light up, the boats get admired, and the canoeists get "yakking".
I recently checked the p-net classifieds. Not a single OC-1 listed, anywhere. Course there's another site I frequent that has no yaks listed, all OC-1's and C-1's.