"Can't We All Just Get Along?"

pitmartin, you would like the Apostle Islands National Lake Shore, jet skis are banned there, and probably at other Nat’l LSs. :slight_smile:

One of my favorite places to paddle is a narrow little tributary to the Columbia River where many power boats are launched and moored. The power boat operators love to make the biggest waves they can on the way out to the Columbia. This is great practice for staying loose and learning whether your kayak can handle conditions. The dilemma is that you don’t know whether to let it rock you to sleep, or stay awake to keep from being run over.

it is easy to get along with others when you already know who they are or are already part of their group. So usually its just me and my buds, when I’m out. Now I don’t want to give you the impression that I don’t boat with others. I’ll easily boat with 100 different people of the course of a year. The majority are part of the wvwa.

When the water levels get low I tend to gravitate toward the rivers that have reliable flows- for example in WV that might be the New, Gauley, or Greenbrier rivers. Most of the year I’m “chasing water” and since the flows aren’t reliable that excludes most other folks.

If I want to see people I can go to Cunard (New River) at 10:00 am on a Saturday in June and there will be plenty. of them.
Usually i just choose to go someplace else. I know I’m in the right place when folks say “I never knew anbody kayaked this, its more of a fishin’ creek” or “what kind of suit is that you’re wearin’?”

G’day harry0244…thanks for the paddling Intel. I’ve read articles, seen pictures,and watched video’s of the area. Seems like a great place to paddle and will be added on my list of paddling destinations…thanks again…