capsize

"in conditions"
These discussions often extend beyond the OP’s original situation to include rougher conditions found on the ocean or larger lakes. I think it’s good to distinguish. So some assist like a stirrup may be good for someone in protected waters wanting to solo rescue if they are limited by size, strength, etc… We then need to say that to ‘graduate’ to rougher waters you either need to ensure you’re surrounded by strong skilled paddlers that can assist or rely on other solo rescues that work well in rough conditions. So most anyone can paddle, but not everyone will be ready for rougher waters. If you’re physically limited you just have a bigger need to learn more skills to compensate or stay in protected waters.

congratulations
I hope it happens more often. Time for rolling lessons?

learn to not use rigging
assisted rescue is a lot more worthwhile than paddlefloat because it reinforces paddling with a buddy and any conditions that dump you will be VERY dificult to self rescue. By the time a person learns to do a pf. well in rough water they could be learning to roll. The aft deck of the Carolina is high and makes pf rescue very awkward. Does yours also have the solid fixed seat back? I find those tend to make it dificult to reenter and folks tend to get on their knees with butt in the air instead of belly low to the aft deck.

Carolina aft deck makes it hard
You are absolutely right how near useless loose pfds are. A few years ago in the ACA instructor courses I attended about 1/2 of the “experienced” paddlers had their pfds on too loose and you could see it up around their chin after a few minutes in the water.

a pf self rescue IMHO is a marketing tool before it’s a practical self-rescue aid given the amount of practice people don’t do and the number of them sold.

I didn’t do more than 1/2 dozen pf practices in my first three years of paddling but I learned to roll in that second year. Even then my roll was marginal and my pf. self rescue was as well. Once I did a dozen pf practices I was better in a week than I was in two years of doing it the same times. Once I started teaching it it was the same thing. The more I did it the faster I could do it, the more I did it in rough conditions the better I was in those conditions.

It’s really a no brainer, if you don’t practice or do it only a coupld times it’s not a skill. If you need a skill you practice.

just talked about this on lower profile

– Last Updated: Aug-20-09 3:20 PM EST –

pfd thread.we get together weekly and practice....it makes me love kayaking all the more when i feel confident.LOVE IT>>>LOVE MY BOAT had a scary experience in my ACA class w/ getting stuck in a wet exit like you did. swallowed alot of water...but did 4-5 more and worked thru' it.

How you’re supposed to start the story
"No shit there I was, thought I was gonna die."

difference
The only difference between a ‘Fairy Tale’ and a good ‘River Story’???

A Fairy Tale starts with “Once upon a time…”

A River Story starts with “No Shit, there I was…”

Keep tipping over…
Messing with boats and practicing many types of recovery is essential for if you don’t practice it is likely your recovery won’t be successful when you need it.

Last night at the end of our weekly dedicated play/skills session on a local small lake a man noted that our sea kayaks seemed like a lot of boat for a small lake. When I told him that we used the lake for play and practice, including rolling etc… He said “We never capsize. My wife and I have been paddling for quite a while and have never tipped over.” I responded that “we have and do capsize. Practicing is the only ting that makes it not an issue.” He shrugged his shoulders and moved on…

really???
No you have probably learned nothing from this…

Best material is 1" tubular webbing
it’s available at REI or most climbing stores for about $.50/foot. Usually a loop made from a 10’ piece is sufficient.

You’ll get a lot of flack from some p-netters about how you shouldn’t have to use a stirrup. However, many women just don’t have the upper body strength to pull themselves up onto the boat. They do have the strength to use their leg muscles though. I always carry one in my day hatch in case there’s someone in the water having trouble getting in.

It also makes things a lot easier if you ever can’t use one arm.

If you’re paddling with friends, instead of using the stirrup, learn the “leg over” re-entry. It’s a great way of getting back into a boat using your leg muscles instead of your arms.

Safety article in current Sea Kayaker
Just received the newest Sea Kayaker, and there is a great article in the safety section about a rescue where three relatively experienced kayakers did a rescue of with three not-experienced folks. It mentions some of the smaller things that can happen and talks about dealing with paddlers who are themselves unpracticed.

Worth a read in light of this thread.

Kayaker gets a Baywatch Babe Rescue
Some big swells are starting to come in from the leading edge of a big storm from down by New Zealand.

Tourists are out trying to surf …

Six of them get caught inside in a cove … and deposited on a rocky ledge.

They are afraid to launch back into the surf

Lifeguards on jet ski pulls up.

Rescue swimmer is CUTE! Yellow helmet and tight red baywatch suit … she swims in and makes the first guy get in his boat then the lifeguard on the jet ski pulls him out of there with a rope … she comes back and kicks some butts … gets them all of the little beach and paddling back to their Arizona SUVs.

Friend comments that if he knew she would be doing the rescue he would have surfed up on the rocks too.

Seadart
I’ll be in San Diego tomorrow without a boat. If I rent or borrow one can I get rescued too?

If you are up for Dawn Patrol surf
I can loan you a boat or waveski.

Unfortunately won’t work out.
We haven’t left yet, and we’re going to the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna. Can’t take any more time because I have business meetings tomorrow and a business trip to Florida scheduled for Wednesday.

I’ll give you a shout next time I’m going down WITH a kayak.