capsizing post mortem

goofing around

– Last Updated: Sep-06-06 3:03 PM EST –

I've capsized more recently goofing around on flat water than in waves. Reaching for a water bottle from another boat, playing catch in a group, that kind of thing. A cross-body throw from a sea kayak is a great demonstration of action and reaction, and a lunging one-handed catch of a thrown sponge moves your CG waaay outside the recovery point.....

But it's fun, and good roll practice.

sounds like fun

3D vs. 2D
I like that. You make that up?

Abbot and Costello

– Last Updated: Sep-06-06 6:12 PM EST –

Mike McCrea’s poling incident reminded me of this one. There’s the time I got excited about the bass on the end of my line, along side the canoe, and reached for it at the same time as my brother in law did. Water started going over the side, so of course I immediately moved my weight back to the other side to counterbalance. So did my brother in law.

Gosh that was embarrassing.

Paul S.

It has been several years since I …
tipped over in my sea kayak unexpectedly. The last time was when I was close to shore and holding on to a dock in quiet water. I had put my paddle on top of the dock and was just sitting there when a rogue wave from a power boat came in and caught me completely unaware. Not only did I flip over but I ended up under the dock without my paddle. My companions thought it was quite funny. I wan’t sure.

Ignorance… ONCE
I learned about broaching while surfing a wave. Never got that sideways again… at least not on purpose.

Not likely to be…
… even close to original. For me maybe leakage of design terminology. Product design being largely 3D and graphic/print design largely 2D - so I’m used to that division (and similar overlap).

Besides - all kayaking as discussed here is at least 4D.

capsizing and rolling
Amazing how a roll helps with capsizing. What was to be avoided at all costs (a capsize leading to coming out of the boat) becomes just another part of practice (a capsize leading to rolling up). This past weeked I spent a fair bit of time paddling in small (1-3 foot waves, easy)surf in my Outer Island no less. Rolled a lot, but always intentionally, sometimes in breaking stuff, sometimes not. Mostly, I was playing with the limits of the boat and working in a relaxed way with boat control in lumpy water. It is nice to know when moving from a high brace to a bow rudder to peel out of a broach that if I flipped I’d just roll up. Hence, my advice regarding on capsizing is not so much to work on avoiding capsizing, but rather to work on developing a reliable roll (at least onside) so you can relax and really learn to work the boat.

Yup, Rolling Is…
for me just a tool to allow me to get some fun in interesting conditions. However, when the conditions get too interesting, like being able to suck you out or pin you down for awhile, and the water temp become sub 40… Then it’s back to a test of one’s ability to (stay calm and) roll as if one’s life depended on it (which it does sometimes…).

sing

I think there’s a fair bit to that
Pretty much every time I dump a ski it’s because I did something stupid with the paddle (or got caught in the wrong spot in the surf). The stern quarter thing was the source of most of my following-sea capsizes early on.

Jack Is The WW NC Guy
I have never tried that so no exceptions there for me.

For me, I wanted to learn to roll so that I could learn to beach land and launch without falling out of the boat. Again, for me, learning to roll in flat water was very difficult but nowhere near the whole story. Learning to roll up after being trashed by a breaking wave was and is still much more of a challenge for me. I think I managed to roll back up on the third or forth time that I capsized in the surf. I dont think I got my second sucsess until I had capsized maybe 25 times or so. Now, depending on the day, I am at about 50/50. Maybe I am half way there.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

capsize on below ledge
The 2 times I remember capsizing were both after getting sideways below a ledge in my inflatable seyvlor kayak.I just got using my new stearns inflatable which has thigh straps to enable eskimo rolling ,or so the advertisement says .I’m signing up for pool lessons on rolling this spring.