Car key storage while paddling

Dry bag
Dry bag w/wallet and sell in the day hatch. I’ve seen water proof magnetic key boxes that fit up under the fender, they have them at most auto parts stores. Most of our put in are in some very busy spots, not far from the house, so I’ve never worried about a spare.

Leaving spare keys in mag boxes and
taped in various places is an open invitation to a thief to take the car. As for the Passat, trade it, get a '64 Impala.

Pelican box ,same as Bigtrout.
Too big to forget(usually).

No key? No thanks!

– Last Updated: Jan-12-06 4:48 PM EST –

I went into the Dodge Dealer when I got back from Iraq to price a new truck. (brain fart)

I told the Sales Manager I wanted a truck with no power windows, no power seats, no power locks, no power mirrors, no power anything except steering. You can imagine the look I got, be he found out quickly that I was dead serious. He couldn't get the price where I wanted it, but ran the figures and I'd have saved many thousands of dollars if I'd decided to buy that, even considering the fact it would've had to have been ordered. Instead, I was fortunate enough to find a truck that was a couple of years old that had everything I wanted. (or I should say DIDN'T want) for a song because most everyone else is headed in the opposite direction as far as wants/needs. I constantly play that fact to my advantage by getting the lesser equipped versions of items I purchase.

I keep my configuration with my vehicle the same as I do with my kayaking, and especially diving gear. SIMPLE! The simpler the better in my opinion.

As for my key, I keep in in a bright yellow dry box along with my wallet in a my storage compartment. This way if it does happen to get away, I'll be able to spot the box much easier. I also keep an extra key in a place where noone would ever look. You'll have to use your imagination on that one.

I hate to see these new vehicle manufacturers straying farther, and farther from making something practical, but unfortunately that's the direction of our society and I'll just continue to adapt my methods.

Paddle practically on~ Splash

This is how they do it
Last year I bought an '05 Nissan Frontier. Overall, the truck is great. However, I have to live with some things I am not thrilled about.

Namely, the passenger door has no mechanical exterior lock fitting. Apparently, this is fairly common now with vehicles that have power door locks or/and remotes. It is just assumed that if somebody wants to get in the passenger door, the driver’s door is also desired unlocked–which is often NOT the case when camping.

I also prefer things like regular cabs, manual windows, and nonpower door locks, period. But the only way to get that with this truck would have been to give up the V6 and some other really good stuff.

So how they do it is in small increments. Get people used to using a remote for the passenger side, then maybe take away the driver side exterior lock, too. I HOPE NOT.

That Passat sounds like a nightware waiting to happen, in remote areas, or even just small towns where you can get a duplicate regular key made (if you know the keycode), but no dealerships to replace a key that contains electronic circuitry. With my truck, if I had chosen the factory antitheft system, it would have meant using such a fancy key, because the truck will NOT operate without it if said factory antitheft system is installed. (Which is why I chose an aftermarket system that allows use of a regular key.)

Not that the automakers make much profit from forcing people into buying very expensive keys, of course!

You must be very trusting
It would be so easy for a thief to smash a window, put your key in the ignition, and byebye car. If you have a car with a securely separated trunk area (not sure if those are even made anymore), maybe it’d be better to put the key in there.

A thief can always vandalize a vehicle. But I sure ain’t gonna make it easy for him to drive it away.

new vs. used
Two words, re-sale value! Or is that 3 words?

Anyway, a no-frill car/truck would be impossible to re-sell. On the other hand, that’s great for those looking for a used one. So, stick with used. Or, drive yours to the ground.

I wouldn’t buy a no-frill NEW one though.

Welcome Back!
Glad you are home. Good comments.

MTI vest has several mesh pockets
with zipper enclosures.

Long long ago I laminated things like registration, medical id, etc. The wallet is nylon and, along with the keys, goes into one sippered pocket on the pfd. I suspect a ziploc bag with such keys inside would work…

I hear ya tho on the key issue.

High Tec always seems to result in high cost.

Something learned along the way
Leave the car unlocked. Leave nothing worth stealing in the car. No broken windows nor busted door locks. Put the key anywhere but in the glovebox, over visor, ashtray, floormat, under seat, etc. Better just take it with you.

dodge remote still worked after it
dried out.

The 2002 dodge has a regular key and the electronic remote. Replacing the remote costs about $75.00. One had to be replaced because it fell apart.

The evening I went out in the kayak I shouldn’t have been in, my dry bag failed as well. It just wasn’t my night.

My remote was soaking wet and wouldn’t work. So I took it off my key ring and hung it over the heater vent. By the time I got home, thirty minutes later the remote was just fine.

I do not like the idea of leaving keys in the vehicle but if I must I slip them into the drawer under the passenger seat along with a spare cell phone under a pile of maps and papers while I’m putting on my pfd and securing a set of keys in its pocket.

I had a Golf with the fancy keys, leather seat, sun roof and all but a Ford Explorer rear ended it and totaled it. I took my mom’s Laser into the Dodge dealer for work and while I was there I heard about a demonstrator Van that had come up for sale. I should have held out for a Jetta Wagon - something I could reach the roof of but that was another six grand.

Dodge stuff may not be fancy - but they hold up well. The gas milage could be better.

I miss my 1980 Rabbit (39 miles to the gallon) and no fancy keys, no electronic stuff. At 160000 miles you had to hit the dash to get the lights and radio to come on. It didn’t go in reverse either. I traded it for firewood to someone who made one working Rabbit out of two dead ones.

Never had a magnetic box fall off or the
key it contains used against me. I have traveled long rough dirt roads. Never lost one. You just have to be selective in where you put it. And you must buy a top quality mag box. Cheap ones are just that, cheap! Must have good, flat, full contact with the metal.

As for key being used to steal the vehicle. That magnetic box was not placed very well. It should not be able to be seen or felt easily. Thieves want to be quick. They are not going to do that thorough of a search unless you have been careless and they know it is there somewhere.

:^)

Mick

(BTW: I have found a better system so do not waste your time looking for a mag box on my vehicles. Sorry, secrecy is a major part of it, so I do not share this info.)

Door key only.

I know several people with these ridiculous new high tech, HIGH DOLLAR keys. The solution most use is to hide the electronic key very well inside the car, and a door only normal key on the outside or near the car somewhere.

I do not think I would trust even a Pelican box for a $250 water damageable key!!!

MICK

BTW: someone told me some of those new elect, high dollar keys are water proof. For $250 they sure as heck should be! And fully warranted too!!!

The people in here who keep talking
about theives taking cars and they not wanting to look for hidden keys forget one thing. There are kids in some areas that know what you guys do with your keys and they will take the time to look for them and have a nice joy ride. Also I bet if your car is taken your insurance company might not want to payout seeeing you provided a key. Be safe take the key with you. For me it is not worth taking the chance.

Hey, Mcwood4

– Last Updated: Jan-13-06 3:07 PM EST –

I had not thought about checking on the waterproof question or the warranty. I will do that. Best I can come up with so far is to put it in a dry bag then in the rear "sealed" hatch. Thanks to all for the great response. (no pocket in my PFD)

Anytime I can help. :^) :^) :^)

Sure hope that when I have trouble seeing the trees for the forest others will continue pointing out the simple and obvious I am overlooking as they have many times before.

Mick