Car Key

Thanks Scott
I wrote to Ford, and am still waiting for their reply.

Every one else here has a suggestion, (which I don’t need) but you are the first with an answer.

Mine is the molded in one.

Thanks again,

JackL

My Magnets were always there when needed

– Last Updated: Mar-27-05 6:47 AM EST –

When using magnetics you do have to use common sense.

First, do not buy inferior ones. Make sure the magnets are large and strong. That the box is well made and not going to break easily or quickly.

Second, place the magnetic box where it is flat against some good metal where it will not be brushed off. I have never had one vibrate off, even on the roughest of back woods roads!

I used the magnetic box method for over 40 years and never lost a key secured this way. One key did come up missing, but later found out it was taken, used, and not returned. Teens just seem to have a such a hard time with simple concepts, like the key has to be outside the car to get you to your set of keys locked inside! But it is not really their faults with all those hormones and such running through their tiny little brains! ;^)

Happy Paddl'n!

>:^)

Mick

My Ford anti theft key
rides on my pfd. Many rolls and a few swims later it still works fine.

They don’t float though. But that’s another story(sob!).

JackL are you as much of a SNOB as you
sounded when you posted the “Every one else here has a suggestion, (which I don’t need) but you are the first with an answer”. Well the 1st time you get your key wet and you are told that is is water proof and it does not work please don’t post back here whinning about it. We might give you another suggestion about what to do. I have a waterproof VHF and GPS and I keep them both in a water proof dry bag. As someone else said nothing waterproof and I don’t want to take a chance with any of my important gear? Why take a chance get a pelican box for it and keep it safe or just get a blank cut and not worry about it.

string…
…can rot.

I would recommend a medium-gauge wire of copper or aluminum.

No sweat
In the future when JackL has a question, a bunch of people who might otherwise have a real answer for him won’t bother to reply.

Not mine…
I had a Clifford alarm on my BMW and my keyfob got wet. Definitely not waterproof as the keyfob didn’t work when it got wet and I went to unlock the door.

Had to do the open door with key, quickly enter car and hurry up to enter the PIN to shut the alarm. Good thing I’m probably one of the few who actually remembers their pin too.

Jay

Good for you I know I would have
had it written somewhere and not have had it with me.

My Toyota waterproof for 1 hour in surf
Two years ago I was body surfing for around an hour when I discovered my new Toyota electronic gizmo in my bathing suit pocket. I was sure it was ruined. I got out of the water, walked up to the car and, “beep beep.” No problem.

Plastic key
My Audi A4 came with a plastic ‘wallet’ key, and that opens the doors and trunk very well. I generally lock the big electronic key in the car and carry the plastic. If you have a VW/Audi, check with the owner’s manual and the other stuff you got when you bought it. Or maybe a dealer ($) could order one for you.

I’ve seen
little metal boxes with strong magnets on the bottom that you can put in your wheel well or elsewhere that hold a spare key in case you lock yourself out. They’re available at auto parts stores.

Now leave anything electronic hidden…
in the truck. Last summer had 2 remotes and a cell phone 2x ziplocked and in a dry bag. Somehow moisture got in the ziplocks (nothing else in the dry bag was even damp), neither remote worked and the battery on the cell was literally fried (company phone & co. paid for new phone, fortunately). Didn’t have any problems with either security key starting the truck & van but I won’t take them either, lots of alternatives to pick from when it comes to getting back into the truck.

Since most of the area I paddle in is outside of both Verizon & Cingular service, why did I ever bother taking the phones with me??? I’m finding that as I age, I get a little bit smarter. Maybe by the time I’m 138 I won’t be a danger to myself.

Happy Paddlin’

Grandpa P.

PeterK, the VW
electronic key may not be waterproof, but it can be pulled apart into two pieces–the electronic part and the key part, which is then nice and small. Unfortunately, the key’s metal is more prone to rusting than the old VW keys, one of which I used as my paddling key, with no dry bag and no problems, for 7 years. So you’d still have to put it in a dry bag if you’re using it in salt water, but at least it’s more compact.

Sanjay

I just have my chauffeur wait at the
take-out in the Rolls.

you talking about the $5 ones?
if so, don’t waste your money. You might as well make yourself a spare key and toss it out the window while driving down the road. You’ll have the same general effect. Those magnets don’t hold up to the jounce & bounce of rough roads, especially off-road or down some accesses. As has been said earlier on this thread, hard-wire the spare to a hidden location on the underside of your vehicle. Won’t fall off that way.

Not for driving
I don’t know how much they cost, but no matter how strong the magnets are, I wasn’t thinking of keeping it on all the time. I was just thinking when you park your car, pull the magnetic box out of you glovebox, stick your key in it, put it under a wheel well, and don’t worry about taking your key with you. Then you don’t have to worry about it being jostled off.