car question

That explained it
I’ve alway a little puzzled over why outdoor parking cost almost as much as indoors… Now I get it.

Seems parking SPACE is the commodity really in demand. Day parkers aren’t picky as to park indoor or out (since they’re not leaving their car there for weeks on end). So there’s really not much incentive to give big discount to monthly parkers to park OUTSIDE vs. IN!

In fact, most garage would put the long term cars deep inside the garage in some out of way corner. And leave the more convenient outdoor spaces for day users who needs quick in and out…

City driving

– Last Updated: Dec-07-09 4:20 PM EST –

Most owner's manuals have 2 or 3 maintenance schedules. The schedule they describe as hard use includes things that many people do, such as lots of stop-and-go driving and temperature extremes. If you want to be safe, use the more conservative (more frequent maintenance) schedule. If you want to save money (at least in the short term), use the so-called normal schedule.

I don't drive a lot of miles but hard use also includes towing, dirt roads, mountain driving, and (sheesh) pretty much everything if you're not the proverbial little old lady. (Hey, they forgot to include HIGH WINDS in that list!) So I follow the hard-use schedule, plus a little of the even more conservative so-called premium schedule. But I also do most maintenance myself, which reduces the cost by more than $250 a year.

As for fuel, I've heard many times that keeping only 1/4 tank (or less) of gas in it is not a good idea. The empty space is filled with air, which has moisture in it. Maybe 1/2 tank would be a decent compromise.

Yep
You bet I cartop my boats on the Mini, it’s cute, I know 'cause kids smile and point:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/SC-1%20Construction/P1040171.jpg

I don’t paddle at Throgs Neck so much, due to the heavy shipping traffic and not-so-clean water. Generally I head to Pelham Bay Park and put in at the lagoon there to enjoy the birds and quiet.

Former Bronx Boy…
I was born in Pelham Bay General and got married at the Marina Del Ray between the Throgs Neck and Whitestone. I’ve been in CT for years now, and it never occurred to me to kayak down there. I’ve gotta try that out. Bonus is White Castles after the paddle…yummmmmmm.

Another cheapscape
I’ve kept a car in New York city for over 10 years now. I do use my car more or less weekly (occasionally every other week). I didn’t detect any ill-effect of my “less than frequent” use of all my cars (on my third car now).

I follow the “normal” maintainance schedule. None of my cars had much in the way of mechanical issues. Modern cars are pretty solid. AAA actually had an article one time suggesting the “heavy use” schedule is for taxis only! (unless you’re towing a trailer, that is)

Having a car in the city does have its own issue. But it’s NOT about it sitting about:

• The roads are crap. So the tires got worked. Tires don’t last nearly as long as cars I owned before moving to the city. Same goes for brakes.

• And fender benders are to be accepted! But I assume Lynn probably knows that part well. :smiley:

I do know
but it comes into sharper focus when you have a new car instead of a 1990 motorized kayak cart.

Lyn

Even street legal :slight_smile:

– Last Updated: Dec-08-09 10:25 AM EST –

Advise you to check overhead clearances with rack on and with boat on. If an attendant parks it, don't count on him/her driving where the maximum clearance is.

yep
I’ve heard about condensation collecting in empty gas tanks (never experienced it myself) so ½ tank or full tank would preferable if you can cycle through the fuel in several months. But if you can’t the fuel going bad is the highest risk I’m aware of.

New cars are designed to extend the motor oil frequency change. My CRV has a computer that monitors the oil usage that factors heat, driving conditions, stop and go, grade, and yes, even wind, and it was only at 50% used at 6,000 miles when I switched it out to synthetic.

The Rockies are the most extreme conditions I’m aware of.

Anyway, good tips and the most important thing is to follow the dealership’s maintenance schedule.

I had a 08 Kia (made my Hyndai) for a year and it was a really good engine. The oil (synthetic) was still clear for 3,000 miles. I would have kept that car but the service department was really unpleasant experience, and they couldn’t fix some minor issues.

Drive it!
Not good to run an engine without load for extended periods. Driving it circulates all the fluids etc. It’s a tool so just use it and enjoy it and don’t fret over it too much.

How do you get your yak out of Pier 66?
I didn’t see any legal parking nearby…

easy
I emailed.

The good news
In three or four years you won’t care!

At least if you are like most people. By then your new car will be well used, as it should be.

Couple things:

Don’t armourall the dash, it will cause premature cracking.

Proper tire inflation will usually negate the need for tire rotation. Do the math on rotation cost over the life of the tires versus buying new tires. I’ve gotten over 100k on non rotated tires.

Wax the car once it is about a year old, not before. The new clearcoat finishes on cars these days will outlast most of the engine parts. By the way even though the car is Korean the paint is most likely made by either Dupont or PPG.

Change the oil like its religion every 3000 miles or 3 months. Go more distance/time if you are piling on miles quickly. This is the one single thing you can do to make the engine last a long time. The guy your car’s next owner sells it to will thank you!

Don’t sweat the small stuff! Parking lot dings happen. don’t let them ruin your day.

Good luck!!!