Car rack. Thule or Yakima????

Thule
I own Yakima. It works, but certain kayak mounting devices, like Hulley rollers, will pivot on the round Yakima bar when loading a boat - instead of staying put in the installed position. Mounting equipment like Mako saddles, hulley rollers, etc. won’t rotate on a square bar like Thule.

Tighten them…
I tighten my Yakima hulley rollers and Mako saddles, and they don’t rotate on the round bars…

Brilliant!
Thanks… tried that.

Weight of the boat I’m sure has something to do with it.

I moved over to hullavators, but for the poster looking to purchase new bars, IMO square’s the way to go.

with pliers
after denting the roof of a new Acura you can bet I tried to tighten them some more, but they still rotate.

Square bars are clearly better in this particular instance. Otherewise I like Yakima mounts (to the car) better than Thule but prefer Thule short roof adapters. As some one who sold Thule for years (and sold Yak in the early 90s) I was nicely surprised by the things Yakima has improved, but a dent is a dent…

using
mako’s or J’s…the round bars allow the fixture to self aline with the boat. (tip a little to best align) any saddle or j that is fixed in a totally solid way, will not conform automatically to the curveature the hull is at(longitudually), and may not be able to be tipped, so that it fully contacts, in a resting position, not forced to do so

especially true with highly rockered boats

…just my 2 cents worth

best wishes

Roy

Racks
I use Thule because at the show I stopped to inquire at the Yakima booth first and the book said that modifications were necessary for my wife’s Suzuki. When Inquired as just what modifications were necessary noone could tell me. Next I stopped at the Thule booth, they looked it up and said no modifications were necessary, I bought a Thule rack on the spot.