car top carrier vs. lightweight trailer

trailer…

– Last Updated: Apr-29-08 4:17 PM EST –

I bought a kit and assembled my trailer years ago...I've had to do some major modifications as I went from using is for a canoe to a Folbot (small, very full car...no room for folding kayak)...I had no choice as I have a roof top carrier...well, once I removed that, the roof top carrier, it was amazing to see how my milage jumped...the trailer hardly has any effect...I am another old, feeble person...LOL....

50 today…
…went out with some friends, came home and guess what was waiting for me? My AARP invitation - it’s in the trash now. :wink:

DO NOT toss that AARP invitation!
The annual membership is cheap and it will more than pay for itself in discounts!

crowded parking lots
How can you park a trailer when you barely have room for a car?

that depends…
… on your part of the US. It generally isn’t an issue here. Like someone here pointed out, if I lived in San Fransissy, I wouldn’t dream of purchasing a trailer. But, it appears to be manageable here in AZ.

Two more things to think about
If, like most of us, you leave the rack on the car all the time, it effects your mileage all the time. If most of your driving is slow, stop-and-go, probably not a big deal, if mostly highway, it could add up.

If you are towing on toll roads, or over toll bridges, the trailer will cost you more.

Inflatable trailers
I’m happy with my roof racks. They have the quick disconnect feet so that the racks are only on the car when the kayak is onboard. My problem is that many times at the boat ramps the car only parking places are all taken while there are plenty of parking spaces restricted to vehicles with trailers. I want an inflatable trailer that I can pull out and attach to my bumber when the only parking spaces are restricted to vehicles with trailers.

Huh?
I’ll bet your inflatable trailer will have inflatable tires too. :wink:

Enjoy your new trailer
:wink:

For your area, the parking isn’t an issue. It isn’t for me, either. I know of one place around here that does not allow trailers, and I don’t think it’s a great paddling location anyway.

Registration and insurance are inexpensive. Maintenance, a pittance. Incredibly minor things given the reduced risk of personal injury, better gas mileage, and (really nice) the ability to look in the rear view mirror and see the boats while driving.

The other thing people like to point out is backing up. It’s not a big deal–just practice at first in an empty parking lot. The kayak trailers are so light that even if you got into a sticky situation, you could unhitch the trailer and hand-wheel it where you wanted it.

one more thing to think about
with trailers, it’s one more thing to break. They don’t rust as bad as when you dunk a boat trailer in the water, but they still break down over time. I just had to replace the axle on my kayak trailer so I replaced the hubs and leaf springs while I was at it. Cost $250. On long trips I always worry about the trailer where as with my rooftop carrier I don’t. Make sure you carry all the tools you need to change the parts on your trialer. Bearings can burn out so carry extra. Those little tires are turning really fast at 70mph! Trailer lug nuts are different size than car lugs so make sure you have a lug wrench to fit. Trailer light are notorious for going out. I’ve trailered for 20 years and all this has happened to me. I love my kayak trailer, but keep these things in mind.

Speed limits
You dont have to worry about speed limits in AZ but some states like the PRK (CA) have restricted speed limits (55 mph) for vehicles towing trailers. I am seriously looking at a trailer or lighter yaks.

correct…
I still remember sitting is a cool shady spot in the middle of a Florida summer on the way to Key West - with my father pounding on the bearings that had effectively welded themselves onto the axle of the tent trailer that he built with axle parts and bearings from the front end of a Ford Falcon. Must have been 1969 or so.

Luckily, I have a pretty high mechanical aptitude and Ford Falcons were laid to rest years ago.

:slight_smile:

But, I got your point. When we travel here, I always carry a small set of tools along with enough water for a few hours. You’d be shocked at the number of people who don’t carry such stuff even though we live in the desert.

really?
Come to think of it, I recall seeing those signs now that you mention it. How rigorously or enthusiasticly are those limits enforced? Or has CA gone the route of revenue enhancement over common sense enforcement?

rack and roll trailer
They have finally brought out a slightly larger trailer with 78" bars and takes a little more weight although I dont know it that means in terms of what more it can carry - one more kayak on the rack sideways? - I dont know much about it but spoke over a year ago to them about the possibility of a trailer that could handle more weight as we have rotomolded kayaks. Just to let you know they sell 2 types now.

By the way,

as I am turning 50 on Monday - what is that AARP invitation mentioned above - as I dont know what that stands for but recently became a US citizen? Has it got to do with us {older) people !!! Just wondering…

AARP
American Association of Retired People was the old name. Now, they simply go by AARP. I guess you could say that they’re an advocacy group for the older folkds.

They’re also kind of famous for getting an “invitation” to you on your birthday. You, my friend, may have slipped under the radar. Congrats on your citizenship. My wife achieved that just over 2 years ago.

Thank you
Retired ! getting close I guess! Good luck on your decision for your boats. We use a heavy duty kit trailer from Harbor Freight and have set it up to hold 5 kayaks which works fine so far but still have more creating to do with it - under $200 but would love a rack and roll but no chance as college starts for oldest one!

hold on…
…to your wallet. K7kid just started college last Sept. It ain’t cheap but we worked hard to set aside money before she reached this point. Guess that’s another reason why I didn’t get into this particular sport until now.

Depends
on whether they need to write a ticket to fill their non existent quota.

Yes the PRK is in financial trouble as usual and is into revenue enhancement.

Watch the truckers. If they are driving slow, there is a reason.

Roger that - thank you.