Car Top Carrier

Thanks
Thanks so much for the info. This is great to hear. They should be arriving any day now and we plan to test them out this weekend. This will not be our primary way of transporting the yaks so I’m hoping it will work out for an every now and then thing and save us a lot of $$$$$! :slight_smile:

UPDATE

– Last Updated: Nov-16-10 3:46 PM EST –

Just wanted to update everyone on the setup we purchased in the link above.

We've been busy and have not had a chance to use the rack until this past weekend.

Thursday we got the rack set up on the car (03 Toyota Camry) along with the holders and kayaks. It was a pretty easy set up. The only thing we added was some top tabs that someone else here had suggested. We used those to secure a rope from the front of the kayaks to the tabs under the hood. We did not use any ropes in the back (from the back of the kayaks to the trunk or underneath of the car). I have pics but it doesn't look like you can post them here. Message me if you would like to see photos of the set up.

Anyhoo, we live close to Annapolis, MD and were driving to Chincoteague, VA (about 3 hours away). We started off and checked them about 2 miles down the road - All was good. Then we got on the highway. We were going about 60 - 65 mph. After a bit, we pulled over to check them again. This time we discovered that the front "feet" were lifting up a bit and starting to come out of their plastic bases. We scooched them back but every time we got up to about 60 mph, this would happen. We also discovered that tying the extra strap material from the kayak holder to the front rack & to the back rack help this from happening so we did that as well.

When we got to Chincoteague, we re-arranged the setup a bit. I have a sunroof on my car with a wind deflector. We originally put the front feet in FRONT of the wind deflector. We discovered that this was causing the kayaks to not sit quite evenly on the roof and lean a little far forward. Once we got to Chincoteage, we moved the front set of feet BEHIND the wind deflector. This put a little less space between the front and back racks but leveled the kayaks out and worked perfectly. We had no problems the rest of the time and on the drive home.

All in all, I would say this rack is totally worth it for us. Like I said before, we have a truck and mostly use that for hauling the kayaks. I expect this rack will get used a handful of times each year (at the most) which is why I didn't want to invest the money in an $$ rack. Also, I plan to purchase an SUV within 2 years that will already have a rack on it.

If you have any other questions about the rack, let me know.

Thanks
Thanks Denakel for the update on this rack system.

Be
sure to pull down on the tightening strap(s) when mounting the rack and then loop a knot so it’s impossible for the strap to loosen. In all my travels with 1 or 2 kayaks up, I have never had a tower/foot lift or come loose. I highly suggest you use a rear bow strap from kayak to bumper…your Toyota should have a tow hook/eye under the bumper (right rear) to tie into. Also suggest you tie front tie down on opposite side of rear for added security against movement. And I always limit my speed to 60mph for added safety. Travel safely!

Thanks
We did pull the straps down tight and tie off the excess. I will pass on the info about the back tie down to BF