Carbon Caps

Maybe I should call them
Custom Carbon Caps CCC for short. I can relatively easily tool a form for most any boat and that was the original idea. It’s not a one size fits all product, although I suspect that there may be some interchangeability. Until such time as I’ve developed forms for the most popular canoes, this will not be an “off the shelf” product.

As for Glenn’s comment, I too like the aesthetics of nicely fitted wood gunnels and decks, even though they require maintenance and care. That’s why I build wooden canoes and paddles. That being said, there are those that proactively lay runners over their new hardwood floors, put plastic over nice upholstery, bed liners in pickup trucks and skid plates on brand new canoes. As well, some may choose to protect their woodwork with Carbon Caps.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Custom Paddles and Cedar Strip Canoes

Still, Conk’s got a point.
Though I’ve not seen your products other than in pictures, I’ve long admired their obvious quality of craftsmanship and superior design. Your thoughtfulness, skill and dedication are equally evident and I appreciate that very much.

While the caps present an attractive(?) solution to the common condition of rotted gunnel ends, I can’t see how they wouldn’t exacerbate, or even accelerate rot by trapping dirt, road grime and moisture at the most vulnerable spot on a new canoe. Even with drain-holes, it seems they’d almost have to delay the drying process and maybe even serve to hide early warning signs of degradation.

Conk’s point is well taken
It’s a trade off. For the person who is able to lift their boat on and off the racks without resting one stem on the ground, I wholeheartedly agree. Adding the caps to a boat with intact gunnels/decks would be the wrong thing to do. On the other hand, I routinely run into people for whom lifting even a 25-30 pound boat directly onto the racks is problematic. Without help, they have to rest one stem on the ground, while they raise the other onto the rear rack and then slide the boat forward. A piece of strategically placed carpet would protect the stem from the ground, but not everyone is that organized or careful. A cap, especially one with a bumper on it may be the ticket for those folks.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

P.S.

I’ve located some black, polyurethane bumpers that seem like they should work. I’ve ordered sample and will post photos when they arrive.

Snap-on/off?

– Last Updated: Feb-12-10 7:26 PM EST –

I get the feeling you're clever enough to pull it off - but not too easily - in a simple and elegant fashion.

Problem solved!
Anyone who wants a set of Dogpaddle Caps has to send Marc a plaster cast of the end cap on his boat.

Jim

of course, we may see many boats with plaster blobs permanently affixed.

Bumpers
The urethane bumpers have just arrived. I installed one temporarily on the FlashFire for illustration purposes only.

The bumpers are approximately 1 1/4" in diameter and approximately 1/8" thick. I punched a hole in the center to line up over the drain hole in the cap.

Although I have no doubt they will do the job, I wouldn’t install them on a boat of my own. They don’t do anything to enhance the appearance of the Carbon Caps and the concept strikes me as overkill. The caps protect the woodwork, the bumpers protect the caps, do we now need to protect the bumpers?

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

As you know Marc I am a little slow
on the uptake…

Are these to protect the CF caps when the boat is rolled upside down with one end grounded during shouldering?

Jim

That was the idea
or when one is loading onto the car by placing one end on the ground and the other on the rear rack.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works