Carbon fiber river canoe paddle?

Its funny -
you guys are all over the light and bent graphite craze (I’ve been there too and I do love my ZRE) and here I am having a wood canvas tripping canoe built and thinking about ordering a couple of beaver tail paddles from Shaw and Tenney. Funny how our interests evolve. Seems I’m going backwards.

Nothing wrong with going back to
“Canadian” paddling style and corresponding equipment. If we’re not trying to cover water like marathon paddlers, I wonder whether the Canadian style isn’t very relaxing and efficient.

I have a 60" Nashwaak paddle with a long blade, and I’ll admit that it didn’t feel right at all when I first tried it, but it’s a respected “Omer Stringer” style paddle, and if I keep at it, it should start to feel right.

Have to get a proper boat to go with it though, like a wood-canvas Prospector…

All the Way Back to ZRE Pizza Paddle
Blades? Remember all carbon Barton paddles and Black Barts? Should be able to find used ones around? Sold the 8 inch wide Black Bart, but still got the ball cap and t-shirt. Any offers? Sorry, won’t part with them yet.

That’s Why I Like Dual Face Paddles
Where you can use the front face exactly like the back power face, especially when doing wet recoveries.

T&Ss are a pretty dense 1piece rpg51
…for a wood paddle…fwiw.

By dense - you mean
heavy? Do you know other builders of very traditional wood paddles?

Tremolo Paddles
Caleb Davis has been making handcrafted wood paddles for more than 20 years. Typically finished with a fine knife edge, they slice effortlessly through the water. Caleb lives in the town of Long Lake, NY.

http://tremolopaddles.wcha.org/tremelopaddles/Process.html

Unbelievable!
SUP paddle with “two power faces?” That’s wonderful, thanks for the link.

No, not really weight(although a little)

– Last Updated: Feb-13-14 1:18 PM EST –

They're excellent paddles but...depending on how aggressive your "pull" is..in conjunction to what one's physical makeup is, they can be a little on the "stiff" side for some of us on the lighter-build.
In a little contrast to T&S...Redtail and GreyOwl are two companies that are 2nd to none..(just imho..others online can vouch for)....and those ~5deg-bent companies should be acknowledged, to at least looked at...a great degree of it is personal preference geared with one's physical makeup..
Capitalism at its Finest...

http://www.redtailpaddle.ca/

http://greyowlpaddles.com/paddles/

$.01

I see what you are saying -
I love my ZRE for lightness when paddling long hours - but I also like the stiff and beefy S&T traditional paddles. Hard to explain. A friend has a Grey Owl and it is a very nice paddle but not really a traditional paddle.

Which Gray Owl does your friend have
that’s not really a traditional paddle?

I Have the Chieftain and I think a Sagamore and they are pleasant to paddle with when I’m going for aesthetics and am paddling water deep enough to submerge them all the way. The Chieftain is a bit larger blade than my joints & muscles like to use for too long.

For most of my paddling I’m using either a bent or straight ZRE Medium and haven’t found anything I prefer over them.

Not sure -

– Last Updated: Feb-13-14 7:34 PM EST –

might be the Voyageur. I think I'm looking for a traditional and rugged paddle for tripping in rough conditions. Not looking for a showpiece. Rugged is key.

Ah, rugged like my walnut beavertail.
It’s rugged, but heavy.

THANK YOU Guys !!!
For real world info to study and learn from.

Apologies for delayed reply … Out of respect for Bob, whom I opine, makes the coolest paddles in the world, I don’t talk about mine much but yes, I also make canoe ( and SUP ) paddles in many different profiles. Albeit, they are built from a different perspective that, IMO, those with real world experience and tenure would appreciate these subtleties.

YES !!! I can replicate your favorite paddle in an ultra light construction. Can be foam or balsa core then reinforced with carbon, glass or a blend of the two in order to achieve the feel you want. No worries to tweak the shape based on your input to pull out desired characteristics or super reinforce layup for rock, coral, oyster bashing durability.

FWIW … Coming this spring, i will also have an elegant, adjustable length, single blade “bloated pear” shaft available with two different grips. … Right now, along with my own profiles, I can put any blade on an adjustable ( round ) shaft with a palm grip but the new “pear” ones will be so much more appreciated by finesse paddlers…

Each blade and shaft layup will be custom tailored to your intended use and expectations.

I cannot say enough about the ability to adjust the paddle length while out on the water … Its not just for trial and error, or something you set on the beach and then ‘deal’ with all day … Having a paddle with an adjustable length range + the ability to switch ‘gears’ anytime in seconds can make a HUGE difference in performance, comfort and overall, everyday, VMG.

Please feel free to call or write with any questions or ideas you want to bounce of of me.

undamming the rivers

– Last Updated: Jun-11-16 10:41 AM EST –

Ever try a qb paddle? Quickblade rules! Don't be a dam fool, read report at http://infinityproject.wordpress.com Remember when Bush, Dick, and Colin were our leaders, F.D.A. Surge on General Dr. See Very E. T. Coop was doleing out the weaponized drugged GMO feed, the leader of the W.T.O.'s (front group pushing the killer GMO food on us) Robber too and the World Trade Center went down like a professional building drop? They told you, while you're screwing each other you're getting bushwacked and we're stealing the place from ya! I decided to appear as the chief law enforcement officer of the entire multiuniverse project, highjack e.t's computer, force it to assist me by barbecooing the worst of the dam fools ,serving em up as they serve up as written in the bible (the trade mark name of the dam and ditch farmed GMO feed the dam fools are eating is Roundup Ready Ignite). 9/11/2001 even spells out denying the levy to mill you know. Plus, I'm seeking 12 apostalettes, 6 in reserve in another man for a reverse last supper presentation in pursuit of the Presidency to win control of the U.S. military, undam the rivers, charge em for it, get out of national debt, save the world and make a fortune building collective productive structures. Once again the details are recorded in a 420 page report at http://infinityproject.wordpress.com with me making way across the continent and back (including 1st time descent of the Snake River) + undamming the rivers as the character they told ya would show up just in time to save ya!