Carpet a Canoe??

Foam pad
I’ve used a closed cell pad to keep a skittish collie out of the bilge water and a little more anchored and it has worked OK. I can see how that might help keep tackle boxes from sliding around some. It wouldn’t need to be attatched, cleans easily, etc. Generally I much agree with those who suggest that less is more with canoes. Keep it as clean and simple as you can.

I hope you don’t paddle in
gator country or you and the dog will soon be parted on a permanent basis!

GATORS!
Nope! I’m in the Upstate of S.C. where we have snakes, beaver, otter, strange looking birds, and snapping turtles.

Jaken Elwood, The Blues Hound…
…who we think is half bloodhound, half golden

retriever, goes 138.

You keep your bass under the seat…
…doesn’t it get smelly? I mean old fish and all.

That’s Still a Big…
Old Dog, brother.

Don’t go down to Columbia.

canoe padding
astro turf works well, both for non skid properties and noise abatement (nothing like the sound of a tackle box sliding on the floor to scare off any nearby fish). However, closed cell foam is an even better option… it is lighter and won’t absorb water.

I use a close cell sleeping pad I got
from Wal-Mart. It works great for a kneeling pad and my dogs like it since they don’t slip. Use contact cement to glue it on the canoe.

don’t glue it
we had great success with standard carpeting. Cut two pieces, one tapered for the front half one for aft. It shoould stop just at the back of the aft seat and just enough for the bow paddler to rest their feet. Cut it wide to reach just to the where the canoe turns sharply from bottom to sides. This will prevent it from slipping around on the floor. When finished for the day, we hang it on the line and hose it down. So, after a year or two it smells like fish and bait. So get some new! Indoor outdoor is better because it dries much faster. If you are not in a race, what is a little extra weight? Great for fishing as it really quites down the noise.

in the next issue:
DVD players

Seat heaters

climate-controlled compartments with icemakers!