Cartopping a canoe with foam

^^^^ Great idea ^^^^

Keep the front ones up near the glass
Just behind the windshield is a strong area. You’ll have to find another strong area for the rears. If it works out, just in front of the rear glass is strong also.

The idea about the rubbery shelving mat is a great idea to keep things from sliding.

Last time I hauled a boat that way I drove about 7 hours with no issues. Then I hit NYC in the wee hours of the morning and all those bumps jostled one of the pads out and I lost it. Didn’t even know it till my boat was bouncing all around while crossing the Throgs Neck Bridge. Scratched the roof all up but didn’t lose the boat.

Moral of the story: Mind the bumpy roads

Shelving mat is also great
to glue to the underside of your kneeling pad if it is a slippery surface.

All good
I put straps fromthe inside hand holds to the thwart on either side. This prevented side to side shifting.

then all the usual tie downs. Finally I left dogs leash hanging out of the car to snap and bounce and keep me awake. JackL pulled me over to point it out.

Thank heaven the dog was still home after I got back…

Another option - pull a small trailer
The Camry rear frame should have at least a couple of threaded bolt ready holes for a class 1 hitch.

It will pull a small trailer with ease.

That’s sage advice
no matter how you cartop a canoe, fancy rack system or not.

Foam the car top with Burma Shave.

Not just the scratches you have to worry
about. Its the smell, too. River mud stinks, river water stinks. Water and mud on you clothes, shoes, feet and paddle all stinks when it gets inside your car. Even just putting the paddle in the trunk will make your car stink. When you mount the boat on the roof some water always drips down and can easily get in the car no matter how careful you are. If this is a really special car, use a trailer.

I haven’t noticed that. I have children
and grandchildren.

I guess it depends on how often you go
and if you use the same car every time, if there’s carpet, how tight the car is, how careful you are about letting your stuff dry, how tight the car is, if you use one of those hangie things and like that…