Cartopping a Volkwagen Jetta

note to those ‘bending’ the ant.
On my '04 Jetta Wagon in one living situation the garage was VERY low and the whip would flex as i went in and out, but it only flexed so many times before breaking and I have had to replace it.

Yes to simply unscrewing it…but please consider the Malone j-cradles or the equivalent made by other companies…it is a good cradle, i bought mine per recommendations here.

And yes the 50mpg is burning diesel…in my old 2001 Jetta TDI (a sedan) I actually got 53mpg one cycle…too bad the USA didnt embrace diesel like Europe and Canada…two weeks ago in Canada we paid 30cents LESS per liter for diesel than regular gasoline…and got 15.9mpg in an RV !!

carrying 2 kayaks on top…

Call me Clueless, all right!

– Last Updated: Sep-27-05 12:36 AM EST –

OK, you warm and wonderful people, you got a good laugh on me, and I learned that cartopping a Jetta requires a SUV after all!! I also learned I should study the common lingo more carefully before engaging in the utterly discretionary use of an unfamiiar noun-gerund combination phrase, to wit "car-topping," without its customary preposition "with."

Seriously, I am thankful for having received some helpful comments. Today, I was able to unscrew my antenna -- it was a little bit stuck, but I got it -- and I am guessing that the rubber blob it rests in won't be bothered by the kayak. I would be a little scared to bend it back...that can't be good for its longevity!

I have heard the Thule 450 installs real easily on my side rails. I had considered getting the Malones, having read good things about it in the product reviews. But not being very tall, I thought the Thule Glide and Set would ensure easy handling. (Also, I got a good deal with ORS Racks Direct). I will let you know how it goes when I get all the gear this weekend.

I too have the diesel VW. I wish there were more places to buy biodiesel -- I haven't had luck finding it in my area. But I am loving the better fuel efficiency of the diesel over any gasoline engine I've ever had. (Well, my Chevy Sprint got good mileage, but that was a tin can that couldn't make it to the top of some driveways without a running start).

For those who wish they had one, all I can say is "go for it." The diesel VW doesn't have the engine problems the gasoline VW has (to the best of my knowledge). Also, the Station Wagon, at least up to '04 -- not sure about the '05s -- was manufactured in Germany. I don't think VW made enough of them. I had to buy mine while it was still on the boat.

Thanks again for all your comments, tongue-in-cheek or not. I guess I started a pretty decent little discussion.

Honestly, saddles do not work
better than foam blocks that will fit your hull and fit on either round or square bars.

Must be contagious
I had the same thought, but you beat me to it.

Remember I’m a newbie, so

– Last Updated: Sep-27-05 12:32 AM EST –

You know I can't speak with any authority about saddles versus foam. But I was looking for something that would help me load it up, since I'm not a big, strong guy. (especially I'm not a guy). I also wanted something that could sit firmly when I cruise on Highway 80. Foam doesn't seem stable enough for long distance highway, but again I'm just supposing.

I also looked into the extension bars and Malone Js, and that expensive car wheel step-ladder and also read all the comments in the product review forum on Hully Rollers and other saddles. The guy at ORS highly recommended the Glide and Set, and it comes with all the tie downs and the bow and stern ties. Maybe saddle are a waste of money; maybe not. But that's probably another topic.

The foam holds better
than the saddles. Just use a towel on the back of your car to slide your boat on. I carry yaks up and down the coast and halfway across the country and back. I have found foam saddles work best.

You can also replace the antenna…
If it’s a simply screw on type of antenna, you can simply replace it with a shorter stubby like antenna. Something that you can find on some convertibles, like a Honda S2000. I replaced my stock long aluminum stick on my MR2 with a similar one such as that on the S2000, it looks better, is quieter in the wind and is still functional.

Jay