Cartopping heavy canoe

Posted my pictures.
They are not exactly pretty, as they are digital photos of film prints. Yuk. Also, they are of me and the wife loading the kayak into the garage rack. Putting it onto the Suburban’s roof rack is the same, just not as far back from the rear of the SUV. You will get the idea.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tutordon/detail?.dir=619f&.dnm=9a9ascd.jpg&.src=ph

is the first photo of the loading procedure. You can page through by hitting the “next>” above each photo. But I think the photo listed below is the most informative. Just imagine your canoe leaning on your SUV, protected by a small carpet.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tutordon/detail?.dir=619f&.dnm=7e3bscd.jpg&.src=ph

Again, you will be lifting one end at a time, and only just for half a minute at a time.

Also, in my photo album is some photos of my recently completed kayak rack in my garage. There’s room for two big wide tandems, or three solos. Above my Z28. My road bike fits next to them also. Now on the other side of the garage is our old SOT tandem and two more bicycles.

Finally, check out the photos in the album transfering the kayak for the garage rack to the Suburban’s roof rack by myself. The kayak never touches the ground. Pretty slick if I say so myself.

Hope the linked photos help,

Don

Can your wife
back a trailer? If so, hang onto her. ;-D

CedarEater

Great photos
Thanks. I’m starting to think I’ll be okay. If the weather stays warm, I might have it up in two weeks.

CedarEater

My wife don’t float, fish, or kayak.
She’ll only go out in my canoe once and a while, afraid of the water, can’t swim. So, I go it alone. The trailer thing can be a good way and you were asking for suggestions.

It’s a good suggestion
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the suggestion. My wife might drop me off at a put-in, drive somewhere for a while and pick me up at a take-out. Not with a trailer though. Of course, if she wasn’t going with me regularly, I’d get a lighter canoe.

CedarEater

cartopping heavy canoe
I use a Maine Roll On attached to my Barrecrafers rack and canoe carrier. It will also fit Thule and Yakama racks. I’m not sure of the weight limit. Here’s their web site.

meoutdoorproducts.com