Catopping advice needed-Quickly

Thank you all!
Looks like we’ll take the Prius with the two kayaks and rent a canoe. The campground rents canoes, and Tupper Lake is close too, so we could rent there. With the heat this weekend, we weren’t looking forward to driving with no AC.

-Chuck

Prius
HI-

My prius mileage drops from 50 down to 42 when I have 2 kayaks on top–so it’s a significant drop, but still a lot lot better than our pickup. Wide tie-down straps in front drop it another 7 mpg–they block the wind almost more than the kayaks alone, oddly.

(When we have 2 people, 2 big dogs, 2 bikes, tons of camping gear, and it’s winter outside, the mileage drops to 35).

When you get a chance, consider getting 58" load bars for the prius instead of 48". It’s easy to carry two boats then, although if one’s a canoe, I’m not so sure.

Renting the canoe seems like a good idea! Or just tie the kayak on its side against the canoe. Of course, you’ve already left, so have a great trip, whichever vehicle you take.

Just give Jed a call.

– Last Updated: Aug-03-07 9:55 AM EST –

If you'll recall, when they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly Hills, the Clampets had all their possessions neatly stowed using the cartopping method (perhaps they inspired Thule, etc.!!!).

Enjoy the Adirondacks!

2 x 4s
Tie two 2 x 4s perpendicular to your rack . Then tie two other 2 x 4s as wide as needed perpendicular to the first 2 x 4s (aka the same direction as the original rack)

Tommy and Ray Pronounce it…
Cah topping.

A-HA!
Hey, that might just do the trick! Next time. Right now, the kayaks are strapped on and the car is loaded. Besides, I don’t have enough 2x4’s of the right length, ,at least not without having to pull a bunch of nails.

Thanks for the suggestion!

-rs