CD Gulfstream

Seams…
They just say that there is an option for fiberglass seams… I took it to mean fiberglass outside replacing the vinyl channel, I could be wrong.

not from what I’ve seen

You are right
The inside has always been glassed. The option is for a full glass seam inside & out, replacing the channel.

Gulfstream
I’m on my second GS and have had NO problems with either boat. I paddled a new one the other day and it paddles as good as the older boats. There is no such thing as waterproof hatches. Anything you put in a hatch you want to stay dry put in a dry bag. Good Luck. Vaughn Fulton

Lots of great responses
looks like I’ve gotten my homework assignment. Terrific! Lot’s of boats to test paddle!

Anymore responses, keep’em coming.

waterproof hatches
Properly installed Valley hatches ARE waterproof. Though it is always wise to put things pou want to keep dry in dry bags.

TinyFrank
TinyFrank posted: “He hated everything about it. Found it tippy, edged poorly and the…”

No offense, but your friend sounds rather inexperienced. I wouldn’t let his opinion count in this discussion.

I thought a two wheeler bicycle was tippy the first time I tried it too…

1 Like

Hows about the C.D. Andromeda?
Think narrower G.S., probably faster and more fun in the 'rough’also, has less volume. Not in the catalog anymore (why?) but can still be ordered.

cd gulfstream
I have had just the opposite experience. Guess that’s why they make different brands of boats. Happy paddling. Vaughn Fulton

this is a good
post on the GS… Remember that this boat was Derek Hutchinsons baby…he is NOT a small guy. The recommended weight class by CD for this boat is too broad, its ideal for the larger paddler only. They need a boat that is between the slip and gulf. I am 185 and ditched mine for a Nigel Dennis and have never been happier. the

Andromeda is a rail
The huge characteristic of the Gulfstream is its very high and easy manuverability - the Andromeda is much more of a go-straight boat.

Nice boat though if you fit it.

The Gulfstream
I’ve had mine a few years and its a very playful kayak and handles big water just fine. It does like to cock or turn in trailing waves which makes it difficult to keep in a straight line. It isn’t the easiest kayak to load, but will keep you out on the water a week or longer with the right gear.

My bulk head are plastic and they leak a little. The tube the cable for the skeg leaked worse. I finally fiberglassed it and that solved that problem. I will probably do that to the bulkheads too. RTV sealant doesn’t seem to work.

I had it on Lake Superior last week and paddled around the Keweenaw Water Trail…127.3 miles in 4 days. 39.3 on the last day. The end of the week I paddled it in a race and won the kayak class with it and was second overall.

My QCC700X is a faster kayak and easier to load, but isn’t as playful and doesn’t turn as fast, but then it is a totally different design. The QCC handles a much larger load as well and handles big water too. Each kayak has it merits and it is nice to be able to switch off and do something different. The Gulfstream has a lot of scratches from use, but still gets lots of nice comments. The mermaid and dolphin really add to the design. Tom

1 Like

Thank to all who
replied. I’m doing some more research on some of the boats mentioned and then it’s off to do some test paddles. While the Gulfstream is still my first choice, you never know until you look, see and try. Again thanks.