CD Stratus 18 Pictures

Conviction
Yes, Norkapp is designed for expeditions. The link from Caffyn is about the Nordkapp and skegg versa rudder.

I have paddled the Nordkapp and P&H Icefloe for long distances for about 20 years and I say of experince that you loose rhythm when you need to correct the course. If you want to paddle long distances you don’t want loose rhythm.

There are better working rudders and less good working rudders. Most sea kayaks are equiped with less good ones and that’s why many people say that they fall apart, doesn’t work well etc.

Evan’s question was why to use a rudder and I gave arguments. Of course it is about conviction. You must belive in the equipment you are using.

yep forgot that !
yeah forgot that each of paddling experiences is very personal and our views approach religious ideas at time. Only looking for other views, not interested in downing anyone!

Measurements
Uh, no, I have a Caribou but suffer from a seemingly uncurable bout of “is there a better boat than that for me” disease.

And yes, I do like it when you post stuff, because I usually learn something from it. Since you went to the trouble to put those pictures together, it seemed like the right thing to do, in any case.

Taking ruler to screen (flat panel, DVI, so pixels should be proper dimension each way), for Stratus I measure roughly 9.65 length/width. The actual specs work out ot 9.93. For QCC, I measure 12.14, actual specs are 10.3. As you say for the QCC it’s hard to tell from the washout at the top where the side really is, but I would have to say it certainly isn’t quite as slender looking as the picture implies.

Further adding to the intrigue, on the QCC site, for the large picture they provide of the boat, I measure 10.67. So it’s only the small picture that seems to be distorted.

Mike