Cetus LV VS Explorer LV

The Cetus LV should be
A very good fit for you, as long as your feet and legs fall in a position that’s comfortably around the center day hatch tube (that can be sawed off I suppose, as a last resort).

But do check out if the handling on the water is right for you. I am 185 lb or so and thought the MV handled better on the water than the LV for me - a little more maneuverable on edge. The full size Cetus weathercocked notably where the MV and LV were neutral for me. The LV was fine for me too (except the ends would not release on edge as readily as the MV due to my weight and the narrower beam of the LV), rolled great. The cockpit is too short for me and perhaps a little too low, where the MV was perfect. But I’m taller than you at 6’4" so the LV may be just about right for you -:wink:

t165 vs cetus lv
What have you found to be different? Is it how it maneuvers? or is it a different fit? im curious because I have thought about cetus lv myself and I have a t165 pro

Different feel
IMHO, the T165 feels like a somewhat less playful Romany in its performance. The Cetuses I’ve paddled have a very different feel than any of the NDK or Valley boats I’ve paddled. They feel less ‘fluid’ (especially compared to Valley boats) for lack of a better term. The volume at the hips also feels substantial - especially when rolling.

As far as fit, at 6’ & 185 pounds I am comfortable in a T165. The Cetus MV felt like the right size boat to me in fit and performance.

Optimum Load Range
I just looked at P&H’s “Optimum Load Range” for each Cetus model. That ‘optimum’ range for a regular Cetus spans 154 pounds and spans 132 pounds for both MV and LV. Those are quite broad ranges to be ‘optimum’ - "most favourable or advantageous; best " - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/optimum

It seems that broad of a range might be ‘acceptable’ or ‘possible’ but optimum?

Swede form …
For overall shape and volume, the Cetus LV should be able to fit comfortably more medium to larger size paddlers than it actually may due to it being a swede form: the front of the cockpit, where feet need to go, is also be where the hull starts to gets narrow. Compared to a same size but in a fish form, and add in the day compartment, there’s not much room in the front of the cockpit as other similar size boats.

This may be particularly true on the LV, which to my recollection, starts to taper fairly quickly just past the seat towards a narrow bow.

For that reason, the Cetus’s, IMHO, really need to be demo’d for fit and comfort. Due to the shape, I wonder if there is a tendency for some paddlers to be going a size up, when the lower volume boat is really right regarding weight, but the physical fit pushes them higher.

We should know by tomorrow.
I will try the boat tomorrow. I was debating on making the 130 mile trip just to test paddle and potentially purchase, but I believe I have a really good chance on this boat fitting me well. If not, I guess I will be buying a Quest LV. I would have rather have smaller boat, but I am only talking about less than 3 inch difference between boats. Thanks to all!

Gil

less than 3 inch difference between boat

– Last Updated: Oct-22-10 3:41 PM EST –

LOA tells you very little. A Quest LV is very different in feel from a Cetus LV. The boat should make you smile. Possibly any boat in the length range you are considering will make you smile - however, some more so than others.

It is important to paddle as many different boats in a range of conditions as possible. It is the only way to know in which you will be most happy.

That would get my vote
The others would be my backup plan for the Quest LV not working out fit-wise vs the other way around. That seems like a lucky situation.

I purchased the boat!
So, I tried out a couple of boats on Saturday. I tried the Romany LV, The Nordkapp LV and the Cetus LV. I came home with the Cetus LV. The Cetus just felt right. Very right. I understand I may be on the large side of this boat’s capabilities. At just under 5’9" and averaging 170 to 175 pounds with holiday peaks of 180, I really have to say that the boat fits me well. It fit’s me slightly tighter than the Romany, but with plenty of room to put on a couple of pounds if I ever do. I paddled the boat for about an hour and I rolled it, scull, static scull and played with it. I was able to do everything I do on my Romany, plus the boat is a little faster. Not as nimble to turn as the Romany, but it turns well. I will paddle it again on Saturday and perhaps write a first impression review. All and all, I am in my boat “honey moon”. I can’t thank all of you enough for the time you spent giving me advise and support. If any of you are ever in Central Florida, shoot me a message. I would gladly meet up and let you test my Cetus LV.

The Cetus just felt right. Very right.
Congratulations!

Now enjoy the boat with a smile on your face!

after-the-fact input
I tried an MV in surf for a few hours this weekend, and it was good. Similar to other touring/coaching boats I’ve liked. More stable than the Aquanaut. Turns better than the Explorer or Force 4. But firmly in that same category of boats. After using the Delphin in surf for 4 hours, the Cetus MV felt very much like a typical “sea kayak”. The Delphin really stands in its own class in surf. So easy to catch waves, stay on top of the crest, and maneuver on the wave. Very tempting!

Huh? Romany LV was roomier?
That must’ve been a regular Romany you demo’d, not an LV version. The LV Romany is almost snug on me and the Cetus LV very roomy. There’s no way it’s looser than the Cetus LV fit.

Congrats and enjoy it!

Oops! Not the Romany, I meant…
The Explorer LV. I tested the Explorer LV and it was smaller fit compared to the Cetus LV. Good catch! The Cetus LV, in my opinion, is a similar fit as the Tempest 16 Pro.

Most excellent!
Congrats! Sounds like you positively clicked with the Cetus LV!

Now your homework, go play!

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc

Hyde Park, NY