Changing Necky Seat?

About that seat.
Look, I don’t like that black seat either. Made my legs go numb too!!! As I understand it a lot of people did indeed have that problem. Apparently the seat sub-contractor could not duplicate the shape designed by Necky R&D, which people loved. The process employed by that sub-contractor resulted in a seat shape that caused some issues for some folk, including me. Necky went to a completely different process if injection on the current gray seat, and it is much more comfy and reflective of the CNC cut R&D prototypes.

The point is simply that changing seats / outfitting in a kayak is simple. I have never owned a kayak that I didn’t have to tweak. So, if you like a boat, in this case the Zoar, but find the seat uncomfortable, it’s a very easy fix, especially with Necky’s system. I would encourage folk to shape their own seats out of minicell. Easy, fun, and custom. OK…

lots of experience

– Last Updated: Dec-02-06 7:12 PM EST –

for $100 you could get a 2'x4'x3" block of minicell and make two seats. The newer grey seats are a lot better because of the curve at the back and thigh support but they are wide open on the side thereby losing a lot of worthwhile support near the sciatic nerve.

The whole bs about comfortable seats in kayaks is SALES,,there's enough difference between people that some folks can paddle in anything and some people really like ONE kind of seat. The fact that there are many seats out there might make you think that one is better but it's only better if it's better for YOU. Which you'll only find out after buying it and paddling.
But lower back pain doesn't sound like a seat problem.

Oh wait,,you want the extracomfort seat with the back rest,,those are really comfy rec. kayak seats.

This is all interesting, and confusing.
I have a Necky Looksha Sport bought in '98. It has a black plastic seat and a black plastic seat back that fits in a slot. I had problems with the seat because I have unusually wide hip sockets. After considering cutting the original seat out and installing a redfishkayak.com foam seat, I did what worked on two other kayaks. I cut windows in the sides of the seat where my hip joints were contacting the seat, and put minicell in the holes. Then I put a modest amount of foam on the bottom of the seat to cushion it.

On my Necky, replacing the seat is not trivial. It is as difficult an operation as removing the seat from a whitewater kayak, and the replacement seat must include bulkheads to support the sides of the boat.

I’ll have to look inside some newer Necky boats and see what they have been up to.

newer neckys
have u shaped aluminum frame going from coaming to hull. I wonder about it long term but it’s a way to reduce cost and increase flexibility for outfitting.