Cheap alternative kayak water pump

Hey, another great idea:

I’m-a-gonna pump up my truck tires using a skinny li’l road bike frame-mount pump! Whaaaat? Ya don’t think a Zefal HP knockoff’d pump a truck tire nice and quick?

There once was a guy being cheap
Whose rec kayak sprang a big seep.
His water gun worked like a treasure
But with low volume shot at high pressure,
He quickly sank into the deep!

Much as we’re all bashing the idea to use it as a primary bilge pump, I do think having a few of these along on a hot summer trip could add an element of juvenile enjoyment…

I’m thinking of getting one for each member of a trip I have planned and stating one simple rule: If you’re armed, you’re a fair target. This way anyone who doesn’t want to get wet can just put it below deck. I’d likely have it on deck often as a lure to someone else thinking they can sneak up and squirt me without getting it in return…

@Sparky961 said:
Much as we’re all bashing the idea to use it as a primary bilge pump, I do think having a few of these along on a hot summer trip could add an element of juvenile enjoyment…

I’m thinking of getting one for each member of a trip I have planned and stating one simple rule: If you’re armed, you’re a fair target. This way anyone who doesn’t want to get wet can just put it below deck. I’d likely have it on deck often as a lure to someone else thinking they can sneak up and squirt me without getting it in return…
Horrific visions of being squirted in the eye with salt water.
I think a Eskimo bow recovery works better for cooling off as the participant has a fair shot at closing their eyes.
What is a hot summer day?

@kayamedic said:
I think a Eskimo bow recovery works better for cooling off as the participant has a fair shot at closing their eyes.

Your paradigm, not mine. No salt in my backyard “pond”. I will say though that for rolling without a nose plug salt water is infinitely more pleasant. I honestly can’t recall the effect on my eyes. I regularly open my eyes underwater whether it’s in a pool, lake, or ocean… apparently it wasn’t severe enough for me to recall.

@kayamedic said:

Salt water is much more pleasant to the eyes than fresh water. I usually have my eyes open below water when I roll in the sea.

WOW, you’all sure are proud of beating the OP into submission, aren’t you? Believe it or not, there are some rec paddlers whom don’t paddle in saltwater, whitewater, or in any situations demanding a rapid dumping of their cockpit. Shame on you “Elitists,” THIS is the reason I spend little time on this website anymore!

@wildernesswebb said:
WOW, you’all sure are proud of beating the OP into submission, aren’t you? Believe it or not, there are some rec paddlers whom don’t paddle in saltwater, whitewater, or in any situations demanding a rapid dumping of their cockpit. Shame on you “Elitists,” THIS is the reason I spend little time on this website anymore!

You would think it’s January.

@wildernesswebb said:

But he is touting it for ANY kayak… Some people may take him seriously.
“a great alternative to an expensive water pump for any kayak”

I think I need to get about a four pack for our next Key Largo race… o:)

@wildernesswebb said:
Shame on you “Elitists,” THIS is the reason I spend little time on this website anymore!

I’ll miss you… Just as much as I’d be missed.

I have a couple of these pool toys. There great for sucking out the water from behind the seat when I clean the boat. BTW I only paid $2 for mine.

@wildernesswebb said:

Junk is junk. No place for junk safety equipment.

@wildernesswebb said:

Kind of dismisses the possibility that crud can happen any time and any where. Elitism has nothing to do with safety. I am surprised at that sort of comment coming from you… I had plenty of opportunity to bail my open hatched Keowee.and was glad I have a pump… Its quite useful for a canoe too.

I agree, it is certainly not “elitist” to warn somebody that a device they think will be a valid piece of safety gear is completely unsuitable for the purpose. I seriously doubt that plastic water toy can pump at this volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD1Oy2iRa-o

And here’s a video of a kayak fisherman demonstrating a pretty large volume pump out (fast forward to time point 3:00 to the demo). He takes 51 seconds to empty a 24 quart cooler. With the manual pump he beats using an electric pump by 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xhhRy1zxo

A good bilge pump is a cheap piece of valuable insurance. $20, free shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-High-Bilge-Pump-Blue/dp/B07BNVBXNT/ref=asc_df_B07BNVBXNT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241986712736&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11204923113466689076&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005933&hvtargid=pla-670711809355&psc=1