Cheap, DIY, alternatives, tips thread

sorry
I meant adventure times…

Paul

Glass soup jars

– Last Updated: Oct-12-05 8:08 AM EST –

Some brands of soup still come in genuine lidded glass soup jars. Enjoy the soup, don;t even bother to wash the jar, just lid it and take it paddling. When you have trash (half eaten sandwiches, banana peels, cigarette butts, candy wrappers, etc), simply cram them into the empty jar, paddle to deep water, and quietly plunk off side of boat. Sinks to bottom like a big natural garbage disposal. Very natural. Aluminum, they say, takes 100 years to biodegrade; plastic about 150 years. Glass, which has added benefit that it will sink and not float, degrades in about 50 short years since it is made of sand. Smokey Bear would be proud.

plastic balls for rigging
I got three plastic balls complete with small bungee material from a friend who had replaced an awning. These things are used as attaching points for canvas awnings. I simply tied them on to the forward deck rigging and I can now slide my paddle easily underneath.

I suppose you could just as easily go to a craft store and get either plastic or wooden balls with a hole and attach it with bungee material too.

but mine were free!

(I really am a cheap bast*rd)

Joke???

– Last Updated: Oct-12-05 8:16 AM EST –

That glass soup jar isn't exactly a low impact idea. What's wrong with simply just packing it out?

I hope he is kidding
glass is recyclable!

…and a big hefty fine
on many of our rivers for having glass containers of any sort.

As to degrading in 50 years? Explain why you can go to old dumps and find glass bottles still in perfect condition a couple of hundred years later?

hey man thats trashy
take your garbage back home with you please!

Honestly, guys, you don’t think…
…the glass would biodegrade? Admittedly the lid is made of aluminum, but all the contents in a steady state within will likely be little more than compost (yes, even the stogie butts) by the time the glass breaks down. The lid is a tad dicey; maybe I should not put the lid on at all. But the contents would then trash and float up and all that jazz. Any ideas about how to keep it all within the jar? Thanks, you’re making me think about this a little more.

Maybe…
cellophane and a rubber band for a makeshift “lid”. Just afraid it would come off and scatter trash all over the lake. Thoughts?

REVISIT CHEMISTRY !101
Actually, perhaps Chemistry 000.01…?

I’m a chemist, and I can’t rightly recall much at’all 'bout the solubility product constant OR quotient for ANY type of glass…

Honestly, Cooldoc, do you REALLY believe what you wrote???

Glass is insoluble in water, my friend! Ancient glass has been dug from shipwrecks after years/decades/millenia, a little worse for wear, perhaps, but dissolved?

Not…!

And sinking your trash like that? Don’t quite get what you’re trying to get at, but that’s no better than leaving it on top. Perhaps it’s only advantage is that you won’t see it to haunt you as you, hopefully, trolling,

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

yes, I definitely have some thoughts…
Pack out what you pack in. Period.

I don’t leave ANY trash behind, even biodegradable things. I pack out food peels, used toilet paper, lunch wrappers and uneaten food scraps. If it didn’t grow there, it isn’t natural, and it’s trash. I’ve seen people throw apple cores into the weeds, but even though an animal will eat it, it’s trash to the next person who stops at that gravel bar for lunch, and I don’t want to look at your leftover trash. And many foods that animals will eat are not natural to their diet and may be harmful to them.

I Smell a Rat
;^)

Yup Yup
Thats how I do it, I lernt it from my pappy who lernt it from his pappy who lernt from my grand grand pappy

sinks pert near every time

Brian

Soflo

My first hit on Google says that…
…glass biodegrades in roughly one million years. In my work as a soils technician I’ve found numerous glass bottles that have been buried in the ground for over 100 years (you can often determine the age from what’s known about the site’s history, or even from buried newsprint) which looked absolutely flawless after being washed off. Glass is derived from quartz, which is one of the most durable minerals there is. I figured he was joking about this at first, but now it doesn’t look that way.

Noodle Rollers
I second the suggestion of noodles as rollers.

You know how you hate to put that first scratch on a new boat? I spent two weeks paddling a new kayak around Moosehead Lake where there are lots of rocky shorelines. I wasn’t sure how I was going to use it, but I bought a pool noodle and cut it in four equal pieces. I thought I’d use them to slide or cushion the boat, but I discovered the rolling properties. They were great because on stone beaches or large flat rocks, I could roll the loaded boat in or out of the water. Place one under the bow and roll the boat up a few feet, place another under the bow, roll a few more feet, etc., and soon the whole boat is up out of the wave action where you can easily unload it. They stored forward of the foot pegs and under thighs. Works for open boats, too. Where the rocks were 1 - 3 feet in size, I tried to just use the piecs of noodle to separate boat and rocks. That didn’t work too well, because the noodles wouldn’t stay put. I had a 1-foot square piece of 1/2 inch closed cell foam that I put under my heels while paddling. That works much better because the rock grips the foam and the piece didn’t move as easily. But once I discovered the roller-noodles, I tried to pick landings suitable for rollers, but sometimes you don’t have much choice.

Kitchen Bucket
When canoe camping, I pack the kitchen in a five gallon bucket, with the lid on, of course. I probably don’t need to expound on the back country virtues of the bucket–haul water, combo seat / table, collect fiddleheads, clams…you get the picture. Probably not going to stop a bear, but can be used to protect food from smaller varmits, or hung up if you are worried about big 'uns.

The kitchen: plastic plates go on the bottom of the bucket. Next, cookset from Walmart, non-stick, cost $10 or 12 dollars for fry pan and three covered pots. Took them home, removed and discarded the handles, and added an aluminum pot gripper from Sunny’s. There is a bit of clearance between the pot set and the side of the bucket, into which slide a zip lock with silverware, a large kitchen knife, and a big plastic cook spoon (all in an upright position). A zip lock with a small bottle of detergent and sponge drops in loose. My camp stove and a Coleman, quart bottle of fuel fit in on top of the pots. One of those screw-apart, coffee-in-the-middle, bottom-to-top expresso makers fits in, broken down. Basically, the whole kitchen kit fits in there except for the cutting board. Snapping the top on secures it all and the bucket is easy to carry and tie in. It may not be water-tight, but it is close, will float, and keeps rain out.

The Walmart pots are cheap and flimsy, but the non-stick surface is sweet at clean-up time. The non-stick has suffered from nesting the pots, which have circular grooves on the bottom. If you cared enough you could drop a piece of platic sheet in between the pots, but how much are you going to sweat over a ten-buck pot set. I’ve been using this set for about 25-30 camping days and they look to have plenty of life left. It will probably be somebody stepping on or dropping one of them that will do 'em in.

good.
was wondering if we were going to get back on track here…

Cancel my idea then.

– Last Updated: Oct-12-05 7:08 PM EST –

Okay, okay, I was having fun. I am sorry, but you all answered so seriously after I posted that I could not help myself but to write in about the lid. A soil analyst. A eco-friendly Texas Lady. A chemist. Brasilbrazil wuith storm paddle. guideboatguy, scupperfrank, benign danny and perniciouseve. You are all fun. And you are all right. Hey, anyone whjo reads this will learn something (as I did in a sense... a million years! really? for glass?). Anyhow, you;ll all be happy to know that I carry in and carry out. Hey, but Texas lady, I gots to admit, I dno;t really carry my toilet paper out, used. Honestly, I dig a hole and fill back in. I will put this on a forum now, please respond there as I don't wish to ruin this nice idea panel. Please RSVP on taht new forum.. that I am strting, riiiiight, NOW!

let’s put it this way…
If you’d ever camped in a high traffic area where lots of people buried their “paper” you’d discover that there weren’t many places to bury yours without discovering theirs. Ick. It also doesn’t decompose as fast as people think it does. The Eleven Point River comes to mind…with TP in too many places.

Readable news papers have been
dug from landfills twenty-five or more year after burial. Same for food and other supposedly biodegradeables. Burial of paper goods usually just serves to preserve them.