Cheap Fleet Syndrome

Cheap quality? Cheap price? I’ve always been one to try and get good stuff on the cheap. Of course someone has to pay full retail for the nice stuff so cheapos like me can eventually end up with it. Takes a village.

1 Like

In ww , the cost really isn’t in the boats. Many times when I figure the cost of the boat versus the number of days of paddling in the boat, it is less than $1 a day. I travel a lot to boat because I’m now seeking less difficult (class II-III) wild and scenic rivers. The scenery keeps it interesting - so gas and camping fees are usually the major expenses. I don’t really figure food because I would be eating at home anyway. The camper and rack itself ain’t cheap. Then there’s all the gear. I’ve probably got as much in gear/clothing (drysuits/pfds/helmets) as in boats right now.

All but one of my current hard boats were bought used. My inflatables are “cheap” but mostly purchased new with the exception of a used maravia raft and one really old riken duck.

I got a nasty habit of wearing boats out- think holes or very thin hulls- be it plastic (hard) or rubber/pvc (inflatable). My current boats and what I paid for them - used diesel (current ride) $400 (came with air bags and sweet cheeks) , used medium shiva $400 (puts a lot of strain on my hips), used wavesport diesel $250 (cracked it out between the seat bolts), used Y $250 (no holes but thinning hull is showing its age), used looksha $200 (patched hole in stern, badly oilcanned, hatch covers worn out), used mirage $200 (small crack in cockpit rim but still servicable), used large shiva $400 (hole under seat in hull, might be weldable), used xp10 $400 (cracked rudder, no tab on hatch cover, leaky bulkhead but still in use), mr poly adventurer canoe $450 (bought new with a blem; it now has a little wavyness and dings in the hull but still serviceable). My inflatables include used maravia raft $500 (a bit leaky, think upper new instead of gorge), 2 new sevylor xds ducks ($200 a piece, only one is still servicable), new tomcat duck $450 (replaced two bladders thus far so it is still good to go), used riken cherokee duck $150 (out of service due to leaky floor which has been repaired previously).

I am thinking about buying a new boat - I demoed a 12r, the narrowness really helped the fake hips (legs are less splayed out) and it was rollable for me. Something I’m still having a hard time with- despite practicing 60+ times in the last couple of years (post hip replacements).

It has been a while since I bought a “new” boat: the mr flashback and perception gyramax were both “new” designs when I bought them.

I paid $50 for my first canoe almost 40 years ago. . It was a Sawyer Cruiser in fiberglass but it had been wrapped and straightened out. Both sides were ripped out of it. I repaired it and paddled it for years. Then I sold it for $400. The launching pad to finding, fixing and flipping canoes.

Keep an eye out, because you never know what you are going to find.

1 Like

I’m enjoying your math…your “value equation”. I think my highest value canoe is my Bell Merlin II. $1900 new in 1999. It’s been out well over 1000 times and must have well over 5000 miles on it. So maybe 40 cents per mile. But I could sell it for about $1500, so maybe 10 cents a mile. I bought a few used canoes at good prices that could easily be sold for what I paid. So 0 cents per mile? I’ve made profits selling used canoes but I’m usually happy to sell them for what I paid and pass along a good deal to another paddler.

The problem with looking for good used boats is that you find them. I’m picking up a new/used canoe tomorrow that found me and called out to me. I’m excited.

Back in the 70s there was a crate at work. I took it home and fashioned a fairly functional 6ft dinghy out of it. I rowed it out to the start of the yacht club laser race start. I had to keep my bare feet over a couple of nail holes in the hull. The race committee thought it, or perhaps me, was a little dingy. However it was a free boat. …and made a nice camp fire at the picnic.

The secret to building a fleet of boats, is to be very selective about which ones you chose to invest in and repair and hold on to. There are lots of crummy boats. Avoid then at all costs. I always make money on canoes.

Top photo, 3 free boats. Gyramax needed a skirt, Flashback needed glass and I soaked the thwarts in resin to toughen them up. Squirt boat has spent its life traveling the country, either scaring or enticing people to submerged kayaking.
Lower photo, Pirana was $90 and got patched. Went from my sons first OC to tandem. The Dumoine and Reflection were demos, Only paddle vessels I spent over $200 for. The Encores were $100 and $200.
The rigid inflatable, with 6 horse outboard was 3k…supporting my sailboat that cost $80/ week for storage, insurance ,$1200 to wash the sails,$8k to replace the diesel…

etc…had 18 boats for awhile, down to 4 now…and a bank account

Impressive armada!!

1 Like

Thanks. Used them all, a lot. After work play session was often 3 boats, and multiple times a week, followed by a longer run on the weekend. Doing different things the past few years, but still have 2 poling boats, an OC1 and 2…may give a couple away.

Oh yeah. I usually buy used and I especially like fixer uppers so I scan the social media sale pages and places like Offer Up daily for projects. I have more invested in G Flex and new outfitting usually than I have in the hull.

Right now I have a 1930’s wood Canvas Old Town that I paid $15.00 for in 1959 when I was 12 years old. Two other Wood canvas in the barn I paid $50.00 for 1 and about $100 for the other they both need rehab. A 1982 Sawyer DY Special I paid $200.00 for about 10 years ago , a 1980’s Wenonah C1W in kevlar about $250.00 a few years ago, a 16 foot rolex Mohawk got in trade for a few hours work and a 16 ft Ranger I got for free from a neighbor after he hit the bow with his backhoe.

1 Like

I think like SoloBill. I have a 1953 OT cedar and canvas canoe that I paid $500 for 25 years ago. I did some repair on the gunwales and paddled it for years. Right it is getting some new ribs and planks and re-canvas.

My first canoe was a Sawyer Cruiser that cost $25 and sold for $400. Now I sold off some boats and only have the OT Guide 18, and a kevlar OT Canadienne set up for solo paddling.