Chicks

Passed this group on a different river today. They didn’t seem alarmed so maybe sensed I was a vegetarian. For some reason (grass?) geese seem to like golf courses.

@canoeswithduckheads said:
Let’s Mute the Trumpets and Not Trumpet the Strumpets That Look Down On Shelled Bumpits

Swans can be nasty.
Swans can be mean.
Don’t dis on Sir Turtle,
just because he’s submarine,
and yankin’ on some web feet,
of feathered graceful debonairs,
who’d just as easily bite your ass,
with their territory grabbin’ airs.

Thanks for the early morning chuckle.

My brother in law took this shot last week in the Chicago area. He has a real camera.

@TomL said:
Passed this group on a different river today. They didn’t seem alarmed so maybe sensed I was a vegetarian. For some reason (grass?) geese seem to like golf courses.

Ours don’t seem to be afraid of people. They will hiss flap wings and chase people. Thus I take the retriever out to discuss property lines with them. They pay attention to the dog.

Geese love grass and produce large amounts of the bye product. A large flock can create quite a mess.

@string said:
Geese love grass and produce large amounts of the bye product. A large flock can create quite a mess.

Fist size pile…

Nothing like being at a launch area where they are all over the. place.
You get the canoe in the water, step into it, sit down, put your foot on the foot brace and find that you leave a big pile of goose guck on it !

Canadians that stayed south of the border for the winter and a West Highlander picking a fight.

Pan-American Geese,
a migratory deceased,
how in hell are they s’posed to get down?
These staycation Snowbirds,
(local Loonies dis word).
Watch your step or you’re guano drown!
(Most the chicks are now Ottawa town.)

@TreeA10 said:
Canadians that stayed south of the border for the winter and a West Highlander picking a fight.

Either the parents are both sticking their tongues out at that puppy or more likely there was a lot of noise when you took that pic.

Needs one of these to really get the geese excited and moving away from the land……………

Sunset’s silhouette deceiver,
the Laser-Eyed Retreiver,
peers poised to pick off flock.
Duck duck or goose from shock.

Yeah, don’t want the customers having to park where those geese poop. Make the slaves park there.

We have to move them to less populated areas to set up nests. They get real defensive at nesting time and chick time. Sometimes the whole flock will come to defend chicks (against people). They will attack people, biting and wing slapping. Small people can be hurt by an defending goose parent. The retriever does a good job at moving the geese.

The University of North Florida hires a herder and his dog to move them to the less populated parts of the campus and not to retention ponds by parking lots and class rooms.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/unf-hires-border-collie-to-solve-canadian-geese-problem

Dammn Canadians…

Saw these little guys today

When I was a little kid, it was rare to catch a flight of Canada geese flying over. Everybody would look up at them and say the word “AWE …”

Nowadays, they’re pests, turning pretty lakeshores into sess-pools, but we only have ourselves to blame; we’ve built all these wonderful suburban industrial parks with ponds and sometimes even fountains, and now we can’t get rid of them.

Some town around here was going to thin out the flock and give the meet to homeless shelters.

PETA hasn’t gone berserk?