Choosing between models of Garmin GPS

I use a micro SD card for everything
rather than go into the internal memory.

Of course the micro cards are a PITA to find if you drop one…

New eTrex series announced!
Looks like there are now more choices as Garmin today announced its new series of eTrex GPS units:

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2011/05/the-new-etrex-garmins-best-selling-gps-handheld-just-got-better.html

A couple of nice features – a better compass, and the ability to transfer data from one GPS to another.

More money than the old eTrex series (more like the prices when the original eTrex first came out) but worth a look.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

To anyone wanting to buy a Garmin, for half the price of a gps, you can hire me to just stand there next to you and verbally tell you that I cant locate enough satellites to begin. Just figured I’d offer to help some people save a little money.

etrex legend h here
its simple not very good maps but its pretty fast and cheap i put a spice jar on mine so if i drop it in water it wont sink

Cool!
Thanks everybody for all of the information and opinions. I think I’m definitely going to get the eTrex Venture HC ($99). I may just go ahead and get it with the bundled Topo 100k as well. Now I just need to save my pennies.

for half that price
I’ll teach you how to use your gps.

The little yellow Etrex will
leak after a few year of being in the sun.

It is not the seals that leak, but the glue where it is put together will decompose and as soon as this happens you will fry the unit after it gets wet.

-From experience with two of them !

Keep them in a waterproof clear soft pliable pouch, and you won’t have any problems.

Have never had any of the “Map” series ones fry.

Jack L

Legend HCX
I had a Legend CX, and it failed, but I failed to close the USB port when I was paddling. Waves came over and shorted the GPS out, and I cut it back on. Big mistake. Then it shorted out for good. I purchased a HCX and it is a BIG difference in locating satellites. Not even in heavy cover did it fail. I highly recommend. I looked at my failure as user error. If you fail to close the ports, you will get water in them. I have my GPS secured with a RAM motorcycle mount, clasped around a 1/4 piece of pvc pipe that is secured to my skirt. I am very happy with my Garmin

No pouch
I talked to a Garmin tech and was told that putting the unit in a bag is not a good idea as it creates excessive heat which will harm the unit and cause the glue holding the rubber casing to soften.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

Then you need to ask that rep why my
first two (which were never in pouches) leaked ? Once they were in a pouch, I never had another problem with them, and that was day after day in the hot Florida sun

Jack L

Gee thanks, although it’ll be hard when none of my piece O cr@p garmins will connect with a satellites after 30 minutes of standing there waiting. Tell ya what, if you can make em connect I’ll teach you how to tie your shoes like a big boy…deal?

All Garmin units seem to work ok when you first get them, but after a while they ALL turn into a paper weight being unable to work. If yours works right now, give it time,…it wont be working for long. I’ll never give another dime to garmin when three purchases totaling near a grand all turned to junk within a short amount of time.

Anyone doubting this needs to do a little research and it’ll open your eyes. Just do a google search for “reconditioned garmin” and you’ll find the marker is flooded with garmins that turned to crap and were returned and are for sale. That should light the bulb for any reasonable person. Garmin…No Thanks!

how many years typically until it fails?
The newer (last few years or so) High sensitivity models (‘H’ in model name) seem to find satellites pretty quick (30 seconds or so) and seem to do so for a few years anyway. I find that when dealing with very heavy trees or a narrow canyon I can have some trouble, but if I first let it find satellites in a clear area then travel to the trees with it tracking it usually keeps the track.

What brands and model have you found that work better?

they work for everyone else

– Last Updated: Jun-03-11 11:37 AM EST –

You child.

The OP was which Garmin to buy. You added nothing but flames, even after you were asked to recommend another brand. . Garmins work for everyone else, so the problem must be your incompetence.

(why do you have more than one if you think they are crap?)

five years going on mine
Rino 130. Three years on my etrex.

Flores just needs a few lessons.

what sort of lesson can you provide exactly?? This is my technique, feel free to give me pointers since you’re a garmin expert slush…

Lets see,

• I stand there hold the unit in my right hand.
  • I press the power button.
  • I then wait forever and the gps finds maybe one satellite and after 5 mins or more I give up and go about what I was going to do.

Funny, when they were new they worked…my last one, a Rino 130 worked ok for a year and now wont find a single satellite after 10 minutes of waiting with a clear view of the sky. I use it as a weather radio because that’s all it’s good for.

So what;'s your advise…hold it in my left hand? Build a time machine and go back in time when I want to use it? We’re all ears.

do another search for “my garmin wont find satellites” and you’ll get a month’s worth of reading written by thousands of pissed off people.

Slushy…have you actually turned on your gps. Try pressing the power button and actually using it and then let us know how much you love it.

five years of a week to 2 week trips/yr.

– Last Updated: Jun-03-11 4:09 PM EST –

....where they sat on my deck most of the time. Something fun to fiddle with, during the conditions in which a troll like you would have enough confidence to venture offshore.

Two seasons of backcountry and downhill xc skiing.

Two seasons of geocaching.

Oh - the rino 130 spent a month in a damp dry hatch in november before I realized it was missing. It still works great. Sucks for you though ("we're" all ears? seems you're the only one here who can't use it).

Now get off the computer before your mommy finds out you're skipping school again.

Geocaching? lol…dont you mean nerd caching? I hate to tell you this but…that gps you have…it’s just a piece of pressure treated 2X4. We gave you that so you’d feel like were a big girl.

I think slushy got her nick name cuz she’s got nothing but slush between her ears.

I’m totally glad you like your garmin, but everyone should beware of the thousands of people who have the same problems I have had with my three. I wrote it off at first too as a fluke but now it’s clear they’re junk. Anyone is free to research it on the web, and I would encourage you to do so. Again, if someone likes theirs that’s great…just be informed before you buy a garmin. I wish someone had warned me as it would have saved me hundreds of dollars learning what they’re all about ie JUNK. Again, a few simple web searches will show you what people are experiencing.

Slushypants, if you tell your supervisors to give you extra meds, and promise to be good on the computer…they might let you take off your straight jacket and safety helmet and let you do some web searches so you can see what I’m talking about. Be sure to keep your drool cup handy though, others have to use the computer too.