Choosing the right gear

@pmmpete said:
Mattt, could you describe your duffle bag/garbage bag/cloth liner bag system in more detail for those who might be interested in trying it? How heavy of a plastic bag do you use?

I’ll add another plastic-bag system to what Matt posted. I’ve described this before, but I can’t recall where, so I can’t just refer to it.

First of all, in principle, this system is the same as what most people with traditional canoe packs use. These plastic bags are much more heavy-duty than trash bags, and are available in much larger sizes than trash-compactor bags (all regular trash bags are far too delicate for my taste, and with every brand I’ve had occasion to test (for less-critical purposes than canoe camping) a large percentage of the bags will already have some leaks even when fresh out of the box). Still, even these more-sturdy bags tend to develop pinhole leaks over time, but even several such holes will let less water in than what naturally seeps through the roll top of standard dry bags, and further, it doesn’t take much diligence to slap a little patch of duct tape over the holes (the pinholes are easy to find if you make up your mind to search once in a while). Twisting the top of a heavy plastic bag and securing it with string is as waterproof a seal as any (it simply won’t leak).

Even though the amount of leakage through occasional pinholes is minimal, you can virtually eliminate that problem by using a double layer of bags (this is an old Cliff Jacobson trick). I myself haven’t used two layers in years, but instead bought a supply of bags that are a lot thicker even than typical canoe-pack liners. I’ve found these to be virtually immune to punctures and pinholes as long as I don’t do anything stupid when packing them. You can get such bags from many industrial-supply shops. I got mine at Staples Online (at the time, it was Item Number 692283, Model Number 008670 on the Staples website). Mine measure 28" x 48" when laying flat, and are 6 mil thick. The 48" length ensures plenty of slack at the top for twisting them shut.

“Mattt, could you describe your duffle bag/garbage bag/cloth liner bag system in more detail for those who might be interested in trying it? How heavy of a plastic bag do you use?”

missed this b-4, so I’ll answer now. a variety of packing methods, for solo or tandem, river or lake. for Quetico Park with maybe 50 portages in a trip, I go as absolutely lightweight as possible I have a cheap CAMP duffle bag that weighs 12 or 14 ounces, the lightest I could find; have probably used this one for 15? years, probably cost $15? - line that with a couple layers of trash bags, or one trash bag and one Sea to Summit sil-nylon pack liner - regardless, there are at least two more layers of lighter plastic bags/sil-nylon dry sacks around the sleeping bag and spare clothes;- first aid stuff inside a zip lock bag too. Plus a mid-sized Granite gear “G” pack - that is lined with 3 layers of the tall kitchen trash bags, for my food, also with other layers. I like the contractor trash bags that you can get at Home depot, but I’ve also just used regular Hefty or whatever bags. Even if I use Dry bags, I will line them with trash bags, or with dry sacks. Tandem trips, I may bring a 115 ltr dry bag (lined with trash bags) or a large 5000 cu in backpack, that is lined with a couple of layers of trash bags. I do really like the Sea to Summit ultra light sil-nylon dry sacks. When I was younger and stronger, I’d even use a canvas army surplus duffle bag for food (for 4 people), and just lined that with trash bags. It doesn’t concern me at all if the outer pack gets wet, just so that the contents stay dry.

We use “contractor bags” and what they are used for is to clean up a worksite.

Bring your backpacking gear and add some better food. 2 small chairs. Maybe a small cooler. find a way to waterproof your important equipment like sleeping bags.
Secure your equipment in the boat. Wear lifejackets. That’s it. It is no big deal.

For a tent, make sure to check if there are specifications on what type of tent for where you want to camp. Have seen it ignored, but for ex the Maine Island Trail asks that people use free standing tents so they don’t have to tie off to trees.