Cleaner for fiberglass/kevlar and gel coat?

There is a common theme here, and that is acids work on the tuff stuff. Vinegar and lemon juice are both acids.

Does it work? So far I’ve had little luck removing the water spots from my Prana. Maybe I should use undiluted vinegar?

Undiluted vinegar. You’ll need to clean off any wax first as it protects the calcium. If the spots are bad, soak a towel with vinegar and leave it on the boat for a few minutes.

Vinegar is cheaper than lemon juice. I’ve not used Zud or muriatic acid but they might be cheaper still.

For mineral deposits citric acid is probably a better choice. It is a chelating agent in addition to being an acid and can be used as a wate softener. Some coffee machine descaling products work pretty weill, too.

oil or grease - use Dawn

ground in dirt or other insoluble stains - first try a strong detergent like laundry detergent and a brush. If that doesn’t work move on a mild abrasive.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXNNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_EBK4SGT7DQ450YZSMKM7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Very strong. VERY!

Looks like it’s probably one of the products based on phosphoric acid. Naval jelly is similar but in gel form.

Want to try using a very dilute phosphoric acid solution? Use Coca-Cola.

They use coke in museums but they can wait years.

Star Brite and West Marine Hull Cleaners both use oxalic acid. Although many sites claim these hull cleaners do not contain harsh acids, they are comparing them to products that contain concentrated hydrochloric or phosphoric acids.

My ex who owned a car repair shop and also restored vintage BMW bikes and cars used to throw gunked up and corroded parts in a bucket of coke for a few days which made them easier to clean. One of his workers submerged a dead rat they found behind the dumpster in a batch that had become too greasy to continue to use and the corpse dissolved in a week.

And people wonder why their teeth rot (I detest soda and have never drunk it anyway.) My dentist said coke and other “soft” drinks that contain phosphoric acid to produce that “tang” mouth feel are what put his kids through college. That “refreshing tang” is the swan song of your dental enamel.

Coke is not that strong to dissolve a rat in a month. It doesn’t even remove light rust after weeks even if you refresh the coke every few days.

wasn’t there to verify the tale (and who knows what else was in that nasty vat.) But the “rodent dissolution” has been an oddly persistent rumor: