clip on kayak compass

Strap ons in the surf
In the surf, anything strapped on your deck is just temporary. I’ve broken a couple strap-on compasses, there is really no substitute for a permanent, recessed deck-mount.

orca too small
I really prefer the seattle sports strap on, over the Orca. The orca has a really small card, and is difficult to read. The wide base on the SeaRover is more secure, and the straps are a lot tighter and safer than bungees and clips. I think you’d be hard-pressed to steer a course within 20 degrees with the Orca. 5 or 10 degrees is doable with the SeaRover.

That said, I really prefer to have a fixed mount compass. More secure, more accurate, and always lined up correctly. Plus, they’re in the same price range as strap ons. $88 for a Brunton 70P!

Strap ons are nice for borrowed boats though.

Curious
why you’re surfing with a compass strapped on anyway? If touring, then the goal is not to surf your loaded boat, something managed by good timing and back paddling. If playing in the surf, then you take the compass off (as well as anything else above deck and on your person).

because
You are right, you don’t go out to PLAY in surf with things on deck, if you want to keep them. But you don’t have to be surfing to be IN surf. You cant always avoid being in surf if you are touring. Good timing is good but not always perfectly executed. Capsize is always a risk, and things get torn off if you capsize in surf. Sometimes side surfing is desirable or necessary or unavoidable, and things can get torn off if you side surf. And deck mounted compasses are superior for serious touring because they don’t become dislodged.

Not as accurate
And, they really can complicate things up front. The permanently installed ones usually sit in a deck recess so are more out of the way.

I have to use a strap-on compass on one of my boats because I have been too lazy to put one in myself. But by the time I have the thing mounted reasonably accurately, a requirement for if I actually have to use it to get home in the summer pea soup of Maine where we spend time, there’s a pretty good chance that I’ll have a tougher time pulling my spare paddle halves out from under it. The deck fittings on that boat just don’t land in an easy place to make things work without a lot of tension. And carrying a spare paddle up front is NOT optional.

correct when landing, but…
when launching through surf a few feet or larger it’s inevitable with the best of timing that you’ll get smacked eventually. But at lest when in a group you can often have friends attach something like a compass once past the surf zone. Many such compasses hold pretty well and don’t present much profile to the surf so are often okay anyway. Now my spare paddle is another matter and I need to wrap extra tight bungees to keep it secure in surf.

surfing and touring
I’ve never purposely go out to “play” in surf. But I somehow manage to end up in the surf zone more than once.

You can’t guarantee you won’t be in the surf zone. Someone in the group got sick, the weather closes in and you need to land in alternate site, etc.

And some of the touring destination simply requires surf landing and/or launching. In fact, sometimes the most suitable sites for stopping has a surf zone. So excluding it would make trip planning a lot more complicated than just surf your way in and out!

Permanent compass make life simpler.

Orca…and
One advantage to the Orca is the clear base area, and empty space below.

Cut a piece of foam to fill that area, cover it with shiny duct tape. But leave a small groove on one surface- to hold one or two of those tiny glo-sticks fisherman use for night fishing (attaches to bait, or hooks, or something…I cook fish, but don’t catch them).

This make an outstanding compass for night paddling.

And…find a favored location on your deck for the compass, and then attach a line from the bow to the center of the cockpit rim. Draw a line in permanent marker on your deck. This allows you to check your lubber line on any strap on compass, not only in initial attachment, but to check alignment during the journey.

Guys, I hear you
and I respect your experiences and your right to choose the compass that’s best for you.

But I think this “mounted compasses are better for serious touring” line is overselling things a bit. How serious is your touring? I mean, do you paddle with a frown? ;>P