coastal canoeinig

As both a canoer and a kayaker
I can talk about both.

We had our tandem canoe in the ocean last week and did fifteen miles in it.

Like posts above have stated; the most important thing is to pick your days in accordance with the weather.

I wouldn’t gamble on those “30% chance of thunder storms” and I wouldn’t take it out on a day with winds above 15MPH, unles the winds were from on shore.

We kept well away from the boating channel where all the power boats and very large tour boats were going hell bent and creating large wakes, and “washing macine” type conditions.

Oher days we would use our kayaks with skirts and play in those same wakes and conditions.

Every boat has it’s use and gives pleasure.

Cheers,

JackL

Open boats in ocean

– Last Updated: Aug-30-09 10:45 AM EST –

I think part of the "only decked boats are safe" attitude is a lack of historical perspective. Go to any working waterfront a century or two ago and all the small boats you would've seen were open. Skiffs, dories, launches, cutters, pulling boats and more in all their regional variations, and all used for ocean work on a daily basis.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Winslow_Homer_006.jpg

And then there are all the other cultures around the world who make(or once made)their living from the sea in small human-powered craft. Very few of them use decked boats.

That said, a typical North American tripping canoe is not an ideal oceangoing craft. Some of the qualities that make it so efficient on flat water can be liabilities in the open ocean. And few of us have the skills or judgment of those who grew up in seagoing cultures.

The best safety device is between your ears.

Yes it - is a good question
Don’t know where you all are paddling specifically - there is enough in your area to stay safe or get into major trouble. Heard great advice - float bags - spray decks all great. Did not hear any info on water temps where you are. You should know those and know them well - capsize in cold water could be a disaster. Wet suits may be required. Open water passages should only be contemplated when you have planned them - prepared for them and have company with experience and knowledge. Sea states in your area can change dramtically in minutes. Self rescue of a large undecked boat like yours in rough seas, winds and cold water sounds risky. That said - in benign - high vis conditions and an on-shore wind - I’ve taken my 17’ canoe out many times through 3-4’ surf and enjoyed it. No problem when out of the surf zone - but I was in Florida. Surfing back in is always a challenge. REally can’t be done - you have to work in through breaks and keep your boat from getting picked up by any big waves. A long boat that tracks like a Sundowner is impossible to surf very much - the wave gets you going then the bow will dig in as the stern keeps coming over. Broaching in the surf - with a ton of water in a boat that now may be rolling over you (as you are liable to dump toward shore in front of the boat)is no fun. Great way to fold your boat up also. Simply put - practice and know your boat - know your conditions - be able to self rescue in any conditions you will face.