Cold weather gear - Looking for advice on gloves, boots, drysuits

Kokatat did the same for me. Tape peeled in one spot after I had it 9 years. They said send it in they’ll check it. I paid freight one way and go a new Expedition drysuit.

That is how I got my Kokatat Osyssey Dry suit. Sent in a custom Expedition and it had some de-lamination. I got to choose any color etc. Got a custom Odyssey for just the cost to ship my old suit to them. {The Odyssey is the new Expedition}

Goretex/ Kokatat stands behind their product.

1 Like

I had a Kokatat Gore-Tex semi dry top. Latex wrist gaskets, Velcro neck gasket, and a rubber waist gasket that could be cinched closed. I bought it in 1999 when I bought a kayak. It was listed for $125 but it had a small tear in the shoulder where it was on a rusted hanger. The shop offered it to me for $40. A bit of Aquaseal and I was good to go.

Fast forward to 18 years later. The seam tape was coming loose and you could see daylight at the stitch holes. I called Kokatat and asked them what adhesive they recommended to reattach the seam tape. They said it sounds like a warranty issue and to send it in where they could look at it. They called back a week later and said it was beyond repair. The only dry top they had that was similar was the Rogue, a $500 dry top. All they wanted to know was what color I wanted.

4 Likes

We live in Maine and decided to get drysuits to extend our season. We went with Stohlquist as they were a lot less. With the relief zipper, I can use a funnel to pee (works just like for a guy). Look for sales on last year’s models.

1 Like

I have a Stolhquist Amp drysuit and wear a cheap fleece union suit under it. I was nice and toasty taking a swim in 48 degree water. As far as gloves, I have a pair of neoprene gloves, but they make my hands sweat, which in turn makes them get cold. I’m switching to pogies this year.

I would still keep looking for some sort of gloves to use in addition to the pogies. With pogies you can go with a lighter weight glove.

I used to do some salvage diving and I can tell you from experience that use of your hands in one of the first things to go if you are in the water. At 45°F water temperature this can happen in as little as 5-10 minutes making a rescue problematic…

1 Like