Cold weather problems

Tooooo Cold
Man, move South! We fish all winter in tee shirts and sandles.

Tsunamichuck, you’re a beast!

– Last Updated: Feb-18-06 9:00 PM EST –

That is very cold, and I pity the person talking the pcitures of you rolling from the dock, as they must have froze their ass off. That is very cold, indeed. I am wondering, along the lines of seadart's advice above, if you had a waterbottle full of 99 cent rubbing alcohol, or maybe Prestone antifreeze, if you could have doused your paddle ferrule and bungees and cleared the ice, pronto. Just a thought.

You are the man for paddling. Tomorrow I am going to take my Calabria out on the pond behind my house, seriously, even though it is 12 degrees (if I last 30 minutes it''ll be a miracle) just because you and other freezing weather kayakers like sing, kshenyka, derrickam, etc. show that it can be done.

By the way, I fear the cold paddling, yes. But I more fear the cold loading and unloading of my kayak. After cinching all teh straps, hands must feel and look like cherry popsuckles!

(PS nice final sale price on the Prijon).

Just be real careful
I take a swim before I paddle in Tahoe to test my gear and then I do a few rolls to ward off a gasping reaction in case of a capsize. Air temps around Tahoe are a lot milder than what you Great Lakes encounter. Single digit temps are rare and below zero temps are newsworthy. Tahoe never freezes.