Comparing Avocet, Tempest 165 and ...

Ricochet is composite (NM)

p.net reviews…

– Last Updated: Nov-04-07 6:08 PM EST –

Well, I did submit a review to p.net for the Tempest 165 a while back (1-31-2006). That was prior to Wildy upgrading the hatches on their composite Tempests to Kajaksport.

I'll wait until I have a number more hours on the Avocet RM before I file a formal review.

BTW, I did receive the Randed Seals spray deck for the Avocet RM. The deck size was correct (1.4). It fit like a glove, but the retailer sent the wrong tunnel size, so it had to go back for an exchange. Before returning the skirt I tried it on my boat. It looks like the rand will totally eliminate any skirt slippage problems. That's just what I was hoping for.

Safe paddling,
Joe

I’ll give it a try…

– Last Updated: Nov-04-07 6:29 PM EST –

My skeg is plastic and barely audible and only when full down. The LV is a way better boat than I am a paddler so it's comforting to know it has at least one little flaw. But I will do as told. :-)

in a previos thread re. zephyr
i had a link to playak’s pix…

I looked
having a hard time finding it,there’s something called Japanese low friction tape but I don’t think that’s it. This stuff has stiff white fibers sticking up about 1/8-3/16". In my Chatham 16 skeg box there’s no slop. I don’t think it’ll keep rocks from getting stuck in the box but it might.

I own both…
My girl and I have one of each in RM, we switch off and constanly give critisisms and comparisons of both. We both have decided we like the Tempest 165 better, it paddles easier, tracks better, turns better, rolls better, and the comfort of the seat…well there is no comparison there, Wildy has the seats , hands down, and that is more important than people give credit to. The welded bulkhead in our avocet came unwelded and leaked like a train! The wildy hatches arent great, but they are ok, and the ease of putting them on and off is a worhtwhile tradeoff for the tablespoon of water you get in there after a days paddling. The avocet hatches require a group of construction workers to fully seal and also to remove them. All i know is that whenever it is either of our turn to have the Tempest…our smiles grow wider, it is just an absolute blast to be in!

gosh, i’ve never had a problem
with my hatches. sorry to hear about yours:(

Tempest vs Avocet - We Agree

– Last Updated: Nov-06-07 10:44 AM EST –

& disagree. I guess that's why there are so many different kayaks out there. ;-)

"Tempest .... paddles easier"
How does it paddle easier? In what conditions? I'm just trying to understand this particular comment. On a long crossing or if I could only own one boat, I would prefer the Tempest (composite version only). For rock gardening the Avocet RM.

"Tracks better"
Yep, I certainly agree with you here, and as I indicated earlier, I feel the Tempest hull design makes for a great 'all-rounder'.

"Tempest...turns better"
Nope. The Tempest is pretty maneuverable, but the Avocet has less wetted water line and more rocker. It will beat the Tempest doing 360s every time.

"Tempest...rolls better"
The Tempest is a fine roller. No complaints from me, but I have managed several recoveries in the lower volume Avocet that I never quite pulled off in my Tempest. Maybe it's just me?

"Wildy has the seats, hands down"
Agreed. Nicest factory seat I have been in and I prefer it to the Valley set-up. However, it should be noted that some users find the Wildy seat too 'techie'. The Tempest also has superior deck outfitting, but the owner can improve on the factory installed lines/bungees on the Avocet.

I am sorry to hear that your welded bulkhead leaks. I have no problems with mine. On a poly boat I would still prefer a properly welded bulkhead to a glued set-up. I also much prefer the stiffer/harder tri-laminate poly of the Avocet to the soft single-ply of the Tempest.

"The wildy hatches arent great, but they are ok, and the ease of putting them on and off is a worhtwhile tradeoff for the tablespoon of water you get in there after a days paddling."

The Wildy hatches are piss poor. Sorry I am not going to sugar coat it. Even Impex Kayaks tried to go with an in-house rubber hatch (similar to Wildy's) and ended up going back to VCP.
It's great that your boat only collects a very small amount of water. As a counterpoint, in the last Tempest RM boat I paddled it accumulated over 2 gallons of water in the aft hatch during a 2 hour pool session. Yes it was 'properly' sealed. It just didn't seal well enough. :-(
When I still had my composite Tempest I was given a prototype Wildy hatch that was supposed to seal better and reduce the leakage issue. Regrettably it sealed no better than my original hatches and was actually easier to inadvertently dislodge during rescues. I'll take Kajaksport or VCP lids on my boats until something better comes along.

"The Avocet hatches require a group of construction workers"
Nope. I have no problems mounting Valley hatches, but then I have been using VCP hatches for more that 4 years. VCP are harder to seal in cold weather. Maybe it's in technique, 303?

YMMV.

Valley Hatch Covers
The ease/difficulty of sealing varies from boat to boat and on specific hatches.

Wife and I own two FG Avocets. The covers always go on “my” boat easier than “hers.” Over the years, we’ve replaced all the hatches on both boats and picked up another boat with Valley hathes, for a total of 10 ovals and 5 rounds. Regardless of boat, some covers are just easier to get on than others.

More on hatch covers
As long as the hatches are dry, I would think that the difference in ease of getting covers on is be extremely low on my list of priorities. Afterall, how often do you put on/ take off the non-dayhatch covers? One, maybe 2 times per/day.

I’m surprised
a lot of folks say they have no problems with the WS hatches on the Tempests but from what I"ve seen on the rec. kayaks they barely stay on.